2awasol1brahim
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey, has anyone completed a level psychology and would be open to do an overview as I am still unsure whether it is the right decision for me?
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey! Yes I’ve just finished year 13 and so have completed the course. I really enjoyed the entire course although it is hard work if you put the effort in you will see the results. I did it as my third subject along with biology and chemistry and it was definitely the easiest of my A-levels. Although saying that it was probably the most content heavy in regards to knowing the research for each topic, the evaluation for that research for each topic, the general content and information for each topic and finally being able to apply that knowledge questions and being able to answer different styles of questions. I’m not going to sugarcoat how much there is to learn because there is a lot and it is a course that takes the entire two years to develop however if you put the effort in which I did because I enjoyed it so much you will see the results and in my opinion it was probably the easiest of my grades that I’m hopefully going to get- I’m aiming for an A*. It is a subject that if you don’t enjoy it you will struggle to get a good grade on because in order to put the effort and revision into it you have to enjoy it and you have to want to understand it and learn the content so if you decide to take it, and the first few weeks you’re not enjoying it I would, if possible, change subjects because it’s not worth trying to put yourself through that for two years because you just won’t get the results that you want from it!
seruzachan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://alevelsresources424893.wordp...and-year-2-a2/
2awasol1brahim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vetofferholder1)
Hey! Yes I’ve just finished year 13 and so have completed the course. I really enjoyed the entire course although it is hard work if you put the effort in you will see the results. I did it as my third subject along with biology and chemistry and it was definitely the easiest of my A-levels. Although saying that it was probably the most content heavy in regards to knowing the research for each topic, the evaluation for that research for each topic, the general content and information for each topic and finally being able to apply that knowledge questions and being able to answer different styles of questions. I’m not going to sugarcoat how much there is to learn because there is a lot and it is a course that takes the entire two years to develop however if you put the effort in which I did because I enjoyed it so much you will see the results and in my opinion it was probably the easiest of my grades that I’m hopefully going to get- I’m aiming for an A*. It is a subject that if you don’t enjoy it you will struggle to get a good grade on because in order to put the effort and revision into it you have to enjoy it and you have to want to understand it and learn the content so if you decide to take it, and the first few weeks you’re not enjoying it I would, if possible, change subjects because it’s not worth trying to put yourself through that for two years because you just won’t get the results that you want from it!
thank you so much!! i really found that useful and i hope you get the A* because it seems that you really deserve it and are passionate about it. I am also taking it along with biology and chemistry!! I think i'm quite sure and am going to stick by it as i was really fascinated by the taster session as it was a subject that really seemed interesting!good luck!!!!1
2awasol1brahim
Rep:
?
thanks so much!!! this seems like a really useful website and i will be using it in the future!!!!
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 2awasol1brahim)
thank you so much!! i really found that useful and i hope you get the A* because it seems that you really deserve it and are passionate about it. I am also taking it along with biology and chemistry!! I think i'm quite sure and am going to stick by it as i was really fascinated by the taster session as it was a subject that really seemed interesting!good luck!!!!1
Thankyou! I found the bio psychology unit was really helped by the fact I took biology, that topic can be quite hard to get your head round if you don’t have the biology knowledge so having that made what was quite a difficult topic, that bit easier
taxonomy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
bruh u absolute legend
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've also just finished year 13 and am hoping for an A*. I agree that it is content-heavy though our teacher always told us that those students who achieve high grades have flexibility in knowledge, because overlaps in content can help reduce the amount you have to revise and help to learn the remaining content more effectively. This also means you have flexibility in the AO3 points you choose to revise while the specification gives guidance and a checklist of topics when revising, which I particularly liked as I realised in GCSE and reinforced at A level that I prefer subjects that are specification focused. Research methods makes up a large part of the course which many people viewed as either boring or difficult, due to a different style of questioning to other subjects but I personally found it really useful as elements came up in my other subjects so it helped with all my A levels. You will probably enjoy the biopsychology chapter (AQA) as most people I know who did biology said it was their favourite chapter. Although an essay based subject, the fact that essays have one of only 2 structures means that essay writing skills aren't as important as other essay subjects. Overall I'd say it is a really interesting subject and even though some say year 1 is boring compared to year 2, I found the whole thing so interesting and I think that is why I was so self-motivated. I also liked how it combines maths, science and essay writing instead of being based on only one of these areas.

Hope this helps
2awasol1brahim
Rep:
?
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I've also just finished year 13 and am hoping for an A*. I agree that it is content-heavy though our teacher always told us that those students who achieve high grades have flexibility in knowledge, because overlaps in content can help reduce the amount you have to revise and help to learn the remaining content more effectively. This also means you have flexibility in the AO3 points you choose to revise while the specification gives guidance and a checklist of topics when revising, which I particularly liked as I realised in GCSE and reinforced at A level that I prefer subjects that are specification focused. Research methods makes up a large part of the course which many people viewed as either boring or difficult, due to a different style of questioning to other subjects but I personally found it really useful as elements came up in my other subjects so it helped with all my A levels. You will probably enjoy the biopsychology chapter (AQA) as most people I know who did biology said it was their favourite chapter. Although an essay based subject, the fact that essays have one of only 2 structures means that essay writing skills aren't as important as other essay subjects. Overall I'd say it is a really interesting subject and even though some say year 1 is boring compared to year 2, I found the whole thing so interesting and I think that is why I was so self-motivated. I also liked how it combines maths, science and essay writing instead of being based on only one of these areas.

Hope this helps
omg thank you for this! i was really nervous about the fact that it was an essay based subject but this is just reinforcing the fact i think it was the right idea to pick. i really hope you get an A* and wish you luck!!!
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
omg thank you for this! i was really nervous about the fact that it was an essay based subject but this is just reinforcing the fact i think it was the right idea to pick. i really hope you get an A* and wish you luck!!!
Thank you
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hey, has anyone completed a level psychology and would be open to do an overview as I am still unsure whether it is the right decision for me?
Hey

I did A-Level Psychology and I now do it at degree level too
Personally I really loved A-Level Psychology! I felt that it was a really diverse subject in the way of content, learning styles etc.

For example, there are essays, research, stats (only a tiny bit at A-Level), research methods, and such a variety of content! For example, you can cover biopsychology, cognitive psychology, behaviourism, social psychology- and so many more areas!

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep
2awasol1brahim
Rep:
?
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads