zBreadboy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My school does AS exams but due to covid we did hall assessments. Which I did poorly in. My AS results are gonna be very low probably CCCU. I will be studying Maths Physics Economics in year 13 after dropping the subject I have a U in. I want to apply to Unis such as LSE and UCL for law who require A*AA. I am looking to resit my AS exams in October for maths physics economics to increase my predicted grades to those standards. If my teachers do no predict me higher I will not apply to uni this year. Say I do my A levels and get A*AA or better what would I do as LSE UCL don't do clearing. Would I need to apply in the following cycle and would I be at a disadvantage for applying later. Also would I be disadvantaged for low AS results even if I managed to get A*AA in my A2 exams. My GCSE grades are 9999887765
Last edited by zBreadboy; 4 weeks ago
Imthebest9888
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zBreadboy)
My school does AS exams but due to covid we did hall assessments. Which I did poorly in. My AS results are gonna be very low probably CCCU. I will be studying Maths Physics Economics in year 13 after dropping the subject I have a U in. I want to apply to Unis such as LSE and UCL for law who require A*AA. I am looking to resit my AS exams in October for maths physics economics to increase my predicted grades to those standards. If my teachers do no predict me higher I will not apply to uni this year. Say I do my A levels and get A*AA or better what would I do as LSE UCL don't do clearing. Would I need to apply in the following cycle and would I be at a disadvantage for applying later. Also would I be disadvantaged for low AS results even if I managed to get A*AA in my A2 exams. My GCSE grades are 9999887765
Wait until result days
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should apply to the universities you want to attend when you’re in y13. If you don’t get offers and get the grades you hope for then you can always take a gap year and reapply.

Applying for the first time during a gap year without the support of your school or college isn’t an easy option - it’s better to “give it a go” even if you don’t expect to get offers during y13 to get an understanding of how ucas works while you have support.
zBreadboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You should apply to the universities you want to attend when you’re in y13. If you don’t get offers and get the grades you hope for then you can always take a gap year and reapply.

Applying for the first time during a gap year without the support of your school or college isn’t an easy option - it’s better to “give it a go” even if you don’t expect to get offers during y13 to get an understanding of how ucas works while you have support.
Oh alright. I will apply just for the experience then. Do you think the U in one of my AS results will have an impact even if I get A*AA or better in my A2. Do you think I could use the poor grades to my advantage to show the dramatic improvement from year 12 to year 13?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh alright. I will apply just for the experience then. Do you think the U in one of my AS results will have an impact even if I get A*AA or better in my A2. Do you think I could use the poor grades to my advantage to show the dramatic improvement from year 12 to year 13?
If you are dropping the 'U' subject and haven't been entered for the external exam it won't need to be declared.
zBreadboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
If you are dropping the 'U' subject and haven't been entered for the external exam it won't need to be declared.
Are you sure? I will still receive AS results in august with my CAG grades.
Last edited by zBreadboy; 4 weeks ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you sure? I will still receive AS results in august with my CAG grades.
Then you were entered for the exam so it will need to be declared - how do you know your CAGs?
zBreadboy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Then you were entered for the exam so it will need to be declared - how do you know your CAGs?
I am just guessing them, based on what I got on the hall assessments that I took at my School. Doesn't a U not count as a qualification as I failed so no qualification is gained. Also would unis look down on me for poor AS results even if I achieve top grades such as A*AA or higher at A2.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am just guessing them, based on what I got on the hall assessments that I took at my School. Doesn't a U not count as a qualification as I failed so no qualification is gained. Also would unis look down on me for poor AS results even if I achieve top grades such as A*AA or higher at A2.
If you get CAGs they ALL have to be declared I'm afraid - we don't enter students for AS now so our exams are just school ones..

You'll need to understand why your grades aren;t where you want them to be and put a plan in place to improve
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.71%
Excited but a bit nervous (114)
45.42%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.15%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed