mary20200114
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi, does anyone know what kind of questions will be asked for a undergraduate dietetics interview?

and can you give examples please? previous years would really help

thanks!!!!!
Last edited by mary20200114; 4 weeks ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mary20200114)
hi, does anyone know what kind of questions will be asked for a undergraduate dietetics interview?

and can you give examples please? previous years would really help

thanks!!!!!
Hey mary20200114,

Congrats on getting your Dietetics interview!

I'm not sure if you have looked through the Dietetics Applicants Thread but there are posts from students looking to study Dietetics sharing their tips and posts.
Regarding interview tips, I will just include a few things from previous threads for you!

To prepare you for your interview, it would be good to have an understanding of the role of a Dietitian and what this role entails. The kinds of questions you may be asked are varied and cover a wide range of areas related to dietetics including the core values and code of ethics. To help you with this, it may help to look through the Standards of Proficiency for Dietitians in accordance with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) where the profession of a dietitian is regulated and register those who become practicing healthcare professionals. The HCPC also has a code of standard, performance and ethics that all healthcare professionals must abide by - also an informative read. Using both of these resources, you can see where your strengths and weakness lie and identify areas for improvement that will benefit you in the future as a future dietitian.

Some example questions may be...

• What are the challenges a nutritionist/dietitian faces?
  • What skills does the job require?
  • How have you displayed the NHS values in your employment/education?
  • Why do you want to become a Dietitian?

You may be asked scenario-based questions such as:

• Tell us about a time you had to deal with an extremely difficult or unhappy customer, patient or coworker. How did you deal with the situation and what was the outcome? Would you do anything differently next time?
  • How do you handle stress in your life?
  • It's your sister's wedding day and you're one of the bridesmaids. However, during the reception, you get a call from your trust requesting you to go in to tend to a patient in an emergency. How would you go about this situation and why?
  • You are house-sitting for a close friend while she's away on holiday and you have to explain to them you have broken your friend's favourite ornament. When informed, your close friend becomes distressed and upset. What are the key issues in this scenario that you would need to be mindful of and how would you go about this situation?

At the end of the day, the interview process is mandatory to assess your potential as a future Dietitian, so the admissions tutors would be looking for what kind of qualities and skills you'd bring, what attracted you to dietetics, why you want to become a dietitian, what you believe a dietitian does and provide you with a scenario or two to see what you would do (there is no right or wrong answer). The interview is usually between 15-20 minutes, but this depends on what you're doing, if you're involved in activities etc.

If your interview involves an MMI (multiple mini-interviews), there is a post about that here to support your interview prep!

I hope this post provides insight for you and best of luck with your interview! :suith:

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Last edited by Coventry University Student Ambassadors; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads