Stressing about my degree before it's begun

Watch
Marina_and_the
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Starting uni in September. I'll (hopefully) be going to Kent, to do English literature with creative writing. And I am STRESSED.

First of all, I did IB HL English instead of A level English, so I'm worried I won't be on the same level as everyone else on the course!
Secondly, I don't know how I'll keep up with the books. Paying for them and reading them seem equally impossible. I'm poor. I'm a slow reader. I procrastinate so much it's almost an art!
I signed up for this because in school I loved creative writing and dissecting books, but I'm pretty sure a degree takes more than just enthusiasm. 😭 How the hell can I get through this??
Skatie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm starting uni soon too, so I'm not an expert or anything, but anyway here's my advice.

I don't think you should worry about not being the same level as the others. If the university have given you a place, they must think you're good enough. Some people will have taken gap years so their college knowledge will be a but rusty and everyone has slightly different backgrounds. You get loads of private study time so if you don't understand something you can go and study it until you do.

Omg I am such a slow reader too!! That's my biggest concern about university, but I've tried some audiobooks or apps that read text aloud so maybe that would help you too, if you play them whilst reading it'll set a pace for you, or if you can't be bothered to read, just listen to it read out loud. Your student loan should be able to cover the cost of books, or if money is a problem you could see if the university have any grants or financial help available. Depending on the book, you might be able to get some of them second hand.

It sounds like you've picked something you're really interested in, which will make it a hell of a lot easier. I hope this helps! Best of luck for September!
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello there

My name is Andrea. I have just finished my degree at Kingston University and I completely understand your fears but I can assure you that you will be fine.

To give you a bit of context, I am from Venezuela (in South America, close to Colombia and Brazil) and I started uni after 5 years of being working. So I was also super scared that this whole situation was going to be too much to handle. I am also the queen of the procrastination, I never did A levels and my English was not perfect... But I was determined to do this and it sounds like you are too!

So, my first week was a little bit overwhelming, I am not gonna lie. After that week when I thought that everyone was better prepared and cleverer than me, I went home and started reading a lot and asking loads of questions. Kingston Uni offers loads of support and probably your uni does to. So just make sure to ask questions on time and don't be scare of making mistakes or being wrong sometimes.

You mentioned that you think that a degree takes more than just enthusiasm, and although of course you need to have a bit of a foundation, to be fair your enthusiasm and your willingness to learn play really important role here too. I don't consider myself the cleverest person in the world and I was so scared on my first day and now I am graduating with a first class degree! So, please use those feelings and that fear to push yourself and to smash this degree!

Good luck! And enjoy because uni life is the best
Andrea - Psychology - Kingston University
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
14.98%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (77)
31.17%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12.15%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.67%
I think it's an unfair expectation (65)
26.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.21%

Watched Threads