Is life to short to spend 8+ years studying to become a gp

Watch
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wish to do a medicine degree IA in 2022, but I’m not sure if I want to spend 7 plus years to become a gp, I don’t want to go through all that hard work and stress for a long long period of time, I’d prefer to get a good apprenticeship at 18 and earn money, go on holiday, drive a nice car, etc, etc, as I believe life is short and I don’t want to die and not lived my best life, instead I’d be studying, and advice I’m kind of confused, my little brother has cancer and it’s just hit me life is short.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Well technically it’s longer than 7 years. If everyone took the view life’s too short to do medicine then no one would do it. It’s a commitment. You pay in your time to get out the reward of a fulfilling career and a decent salary.
You’re assuming that a good apprenticeship would just fall into your lap. It may not. They’re almost as competitive as medicine. You don’t mention what apprenticeship you actually want to do and you sound like you’re very motivated by money right now. This may work for you in the short term but, unless you weren’t thinking of anything other than a doctor’s salary to begin with, what happens when you reach the ceiling of your alternative career in terms of salary and progression and you find yourself wanting something more ie the things that originally drew you to medicine in the first place?
Sounds like you have some thinking to do.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Are you working on the assumption that once you are qualified to be a gp that it will be a cushy, stress-free job that will leave you with loads of time for holidays and going out? You might be best getting some work xp or talking to an actual gp about the job to find out more about it.

A load of money and nice things may not be much comfort if you don't have the time to enjoy it and you hate all those hours every week working at your job. Do you want to be a gp because you'll enjoy it and helping people (in which case consider going for it) or are you after something that pays well?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
If it’s only a high paying job you’re after, avoid medicine. You’ll wind up hating your job, wanting to quit and being a rubbish doctor because you’ve gone into it for the wrong reasons. Think about why you want to do medicine - is it just because of the money? In that case, look more into apprenticeships, careers in law/business etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads