Rejecting someone in a

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
A friend of a friend has asked me if id like to start dating her but i don’t like her back in the same way. Last week my friend kept asking me if I was single and liked anyone etc. and then suddenly her friend started to text me. This person kept messaging me about random stuff and I didn’t want to just ignore her because her parents are going through a divorce and she seemed to need someone to speak to. Then, i got a text from her saying how wonderful she thinks I am and if id like to start dating her. My friends have always said that im a very friendly person and I fear that she has interpreted my completely platonic politeness as something else entirely. Its her birthday tomorrow and i feel awful about rejecting her but i know it would be even worse to give her false hope. Im struggling to find the words to reject her offer in the nicest way so any advice would be very helpful. Thank you for reading
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you just not looking for a relationship now or is there another reason for the rejection?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
Are you just not looking for a relationship now or is there another reason for the rejection?
The person who’s asked me if I want to start dating her just isnt what Im looking for. We are too different for anything to work out well and shes just not my type
alkhansa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's better in the long run to let people know politely, kindly and respectfully. Be factual. Don't use value laden terms like "not what I'm looking for" or "not my type". Focus on the fact that you'd rather be friends.
Roasted Potato
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes I agree with alkhansa. Be respectful and honest,say you enjoy being friends and just want to be that. And I think it's better to sort it sooner rather than later because the stress of not having your answer just adds to everything. At least that's my opinion
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A friend of a friend has asked me if id like to start dating her but i don’t like her back in the same way. Last week my friend kept asking me if I was single and liked anyone etc. and then suddenly her friend started to text me. This person kept messaging me about random stuff and I didn’t want to just ignore her because her parents are going through a divorce and she seemed to need someone to speak to. Then, i got a text from her saying how wonderful she thinks I am and if id like to start dating her. My friends have always said that im a very friendly person and I fear that she has interpreted my completely platonic politeness as something else entirely. Its her birthday tomorrow and i feel awful about rejecting her but i know it would be even worse to give her false hope. Im struggling to find the words to reject her offer in the nicest way so any advice would be very helpful. Thank you for reading
Just say you are flattered she's asking you, but you don't really feel that spark/romantic connection ... you feel more of a friendship vibe with her. something along those lines.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads