A method for young people not to waste talents from God

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Try to self-create a challenge or join some existing ones which fit what God has given you, so you can glorify God with what you are good at.
You can also show your faith through doing what you are good at. For example, if you are good at maths, you can help to calculate bills and look for the best deals if you help the church to buy materials.

https://musicmotivation.com/hymn-challenge/
I received a calling to join this challenge in 2020. I just "sight-read" the hymns up to now but forgot that I have to "pass off" as well. As it was a holy calling for me to take part, I hope to do it to the fullest as I found some ways to "pass off", either using self-played hymns as the BGM of my YouTube videos (mainly bus ride throughs, the hymn number will determine on the route number), using the self-recorded MP3s to assist my dad or other people I know who are leading the singspiration sessions at church to get familiar with the hymns, or playing them live at some church meetings. I will use all three ways to "pass off".
Last edited by 8013; 1 month ago
heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a great idea!!! I’ve been challenging myself to learn Spanish, as I’m quite good at french. I love listening to worship songs and hymns and reading the Bible in both languages to help me practise. Good luck with all you devotions to God, you are really inspiring!! :yep:
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by heldbygrace)
This is a great idea!!! I’ve been challenging myself to learn Spanish, as I’m quite good at french. I love listening to worship songs and hymns and reading the Bible in both languages to help me practise. Good luck with all you devotions to God, you are really inspiring!! :yep:
My hymn book has more hymns (around 480) than the one in the initial challenge (around 330). This may take me more time to complete.
I wasn't able to keep up and quit in the middle of July last year but God told me to come back.
#358 and #302 marked my return to the challenge. Next up are #412, #126, #122, #258 and #307. Some hymns may jump the queue if I get calls to play at church meetings. There are now 100 hymns in the queue right now.
Last edited by 8013; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
count me in
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am estimated to pass off the first hymn next Tuesday. There is a scarce supply of pianists in my church meeting on Tuesdays and Fridays, so I will be taking up next Tuesday. I have asked the person who leads the singspiration to text me the hymn number, most preferably by Sunday 23:59. I have also told him my icon in the group. I will call this "method A". The number is #302 to my shock.
For "method B", the YouTube video BGM, the first one will be #307 for bus 307 ride through, followed by #118. It will be used for the ride through of bus 118.
Last edited by 8013; 4 weeks ago
Rep:
?
I also make arrangements of hymns as well, mainly changing the bass. I heard from some experienced pianist from a church of the same organisation as mine (as we all gathered for a summer bible study, hosted by my church). That time was a special meeting, talking about our insights from church camp. I decided to embark on this endeavour thanks to the message in the camp back in 2019. He told me that I can play RH melody, possibly adding some notes on the alto part, but play mainly chords with LH, which does not necessarily need to follow what's written on the score. He told me to play more of them as he thinks that I am capable of playing most of the hymns (as I was G7 then).
Rep:
?
Method B is now the predominant method for passing off. I will release 245 bus ride throughs with the hymns as BGM. This is compounded by 247 station melodies in the MTR and Light Rail, all made out of the hymns. I will break a hymn into 2 in the station melodies for intermediate stops but for termini it will be the full one.
I was recognised to have perfect pitch in 2016, and I am known to be the only guy with perfect pitch in the church. This uniqueness is used by my church. When we sing hymns without backing tracks, we always sing lower as we progress. So, I am asked a few times to use my perfect pitch to prevent this from happening again.
Last edited by 8013; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
30.21%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.38%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
54.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.25%

Watched Threads