Is it worth getting a tablet and stylus for A level maths

Watch
Har6547
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What one would you recommend? Apple? Samsung? Apps? What did you use it for? Any help greatly appreciated.
4D Chess
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I used something a lot more high-tech called a notepad and pen
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Har6547)
What one would you recommend? Apple? Samsung? Apps? What did you use it for? Any help greatly appreciated.
I don't have recommendations for a tablet but for writing maths on my laptop I use a graphics tablet which I have no complaints about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Dig...s_id=430562031
Har6547
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
I don't have recommendations for a tablet but for writing maths on my laptop I use a graphics tablet which I have no complaints about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawing-Dig...s_id=430562031
Cool. What does that do exactly? How easy is it to write for maths?
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cool. What does that do exactly? How easy is it to write for maths?
This will show you: https://youtu.be/AIdGk7HG_eA?t=144

For some people it can take a little bit of time to get used to because you are writing in a different place to where you're looking. I tutor online so I write a lot of maths digitally and using a graphics tablet is as easy and clear as writing on paper.

I should say that the Amazon link I gave is for a cheap tablet but it's fine for me. You can pay more for a bigger/better one.
Last edited by Notnek; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Been a few years since I did A-level maths but I used a notepad and pen. In school we used to use mini whiteboards and pens a lot.

Buying a tablet or PC/laptop to do maths revision seems an expensive (and unnecessary) step that said if you have other plans for the device for the next 5 or so years then fair enough...
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use my Apple iPad Pro 12.9" with Apple Pencil. Not the cheapest setup for a student but it’s a powerhouse of a tablet. I use it to tutor maths all the time regardless whether I have access to a computer or not, and I make any PhD notes on the Goodnotes 5 app (via the App Store).

I use it for much more than just taking notes to justify the price tag, but from the note-taking perspective I am very happy with the lack of input lag that many other tablets/stylus setups have. Input lag (latency) means that as you write on a tablet, your writing on tablet is few milliseconds behind your actual pen tip.

I would recommend this for your studies (A-Level + beyond) based on my experience with it.
SyedN
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To use in lesson? None. I don't think you are allowed to have a tablet or a laptop out (at least this wasn't the case in 2019 when I was doing A Levels) .

For personal revision and stuff? Can't go wrong with an iPad even the new iPad Air with the M1 chip is brilliant!
Har6547
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
This will show you: https://youtu.be/AIdGk7HG_eA?t=144

For some people it can take a little bit of time to get used to because you are writing in a different place to where you're looking. I tutor online so I write a lot of maths digitally and using a graphics tablet is as easy and clear as writing on paper.

I should say that the Amazon link I gave is for a cheap tablet but it's fine for me. You can pay more for a bigger/better one.
Thanks so much! This looks great!
Har6547
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Been a few years since I did A-level maths but I used a notepad and pen. In school we used to use mini whiteboards and pens a lot.

Buying a tablet or PC/laptop to do maths revision seems an expensive (and unnecessary) step that said if you have other plans for the device for the next 5 or so years then fair enough...
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thanks
XXL3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I use an iPad air 3 and the Notability app, it is pretty good.
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely don't need a tablet for A Level imo, notepad and pen works wonders. I switched to an ipad for university though, a lot of people switch to tablets at uni but personally I wouldnt for a level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (44)
27.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.81%
No I am happy with my choice (89)
55.97%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.55%

Watched Threads