Dissertation on gender fluidity and societal views on gender!!! HELP!

Watch
iwriteletters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi!

I'm doing my EP on fluidity in fashion and how it influences societal views on gender, and I'm moving to work on my dissertation. My one problem, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A DISSERATION!!

Do I write about my research or do I argue a certain point... I came on here because people have such good advice and I was hoping to ask questions if someone did respond to me, that's why I didn't go straight to youtube or something else

What are you supposed to write in a dissertation? And what sort of structure is it supposed to have? I have no idea how I'm going to stretch my topic for 5000 words because I have no idea what I'm supposed to be writing my teacher hasn't told us anything!! Thanks for reading!
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi letters

Do you have any specimens of previous dissertations people have submitted? If so, you could look at the structures of those and see how you can fit the research you've done into that kind of format.

One way or another, begin by writing an outline. Go back through the research you've done, and summarise it in your mind, looking for the big ideas. How has fluidity in fashion influenced society's views on gender? You would do well to begin by defining some of your terms, if they're not immediately clear - when you say "fluidity in fashion", what do you mean by that?

Then break them down somewhat to generate a few smaller ideas. These will turn into the large sections of your dissertation. One could be, for example, the main changes in society's views on gender that have happened recently. The next idea could be fashion trends that have clearly contributed to that or been influenced by that in some way. (It probably won't be those because I don't know anything about this. But regardless, break your big ideas down into smaller, supporting ideas that can be addressed with the evidence you've collected.)

Along the way, look for how you can incorporate evidence from your research into your argument. A good amount of the bulk of the dissertation should probably be your critical analysis of individual objects or trends of fashion. You could ask yourself, when they designed this garment, were they trying to make a statement about fashion, and what was it? How successful was it, both as a garment and in making that statement? What impact did it have on society and society's views on gender? Or if they weren't trying to say something about gender by the design, how and why did others co-opt or interpret the fashion object in a way that made it about gender? Give your original thoughts on things, but ground what you write with evidence, and refer to other peoples' ideas that you've built on. Include images of the fashion objects you're interpreting, and you could think about drawing conceptual diagrams to visualise the ideas you're presenting.

Plan all of this in outline form first, mapping out the points you'll make and putting them in a logical order. Put links, citations, or images of the evidence you'll include with each point. Then you can begin to actually write - small, manageable piece by small, manageable piece.

Hope this helps. I suspect that if this is something you're passionate about, your trouble will be cramming all the ideas you want to write about into the 5000 words you're allowed, not stretching it. 5000 is not actually that much. If you do get into that kind of trouble, diagrams are your friend; they probably won't be included in the word count (although check with your teacher or whoever's marking the dissertations).

You can do it, I believe in you
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 4 weeks ago
iwriteletters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hahaha hi

Thank you! This is amazing advice! I had a feeling you might reply

P.s. I love the nickname <3
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Hi letters
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.64%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.9%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.06%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads