Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which one do you think is better in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    you can't compare the 2, kings of course is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infam0us1)
    you can't compare the 2, kings of course is better.
    Thought you said you couldnt compare? :P
    where did you apply ?

ReputationRep:
    Is this a serious thread? King's, obviously...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    Is this a serious thread? King's, obviously...
    yes it is a serious thread
    i was just making sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soul02)
    Which one do you think is better in your opinion?
    Hmmmm, depends what you want to look at and if you want to look at it in a biased light or not - and actually weigh things up properly.

Firstly, the atmospheres of the two universities will be completely different to each other and one of the main reasons that determines if people enjoy uni is if they actually feel comfortable there. Liverpool is a fairly nice city and no where near as bad as people make it out to be and the people on the course, including the staff, are fairly down to earth and approachable. LJMU also has one of the most active pharmacy social bodies there is, getting more students to its ball than any other pharmacy student association i know of. I would suggest visiting the universities and the surrounding areas to find out for yourself.

People will automatically say KCL is better than LJMU simply because it is a 'prestigious uni' which generally means sod all when it comes to Pharmacy schools as they tend to be their own entity within that university while also being accredited by the RPSGB, an outside professional and regulatory body for pharmacy (don't trust those bizarre things called league tables). Therefore both courses are FULLY accredited by the RPSGB to teach pharmacy. Also... just a little fact: LJMU is the second oldest pharmacy school in the country.

LJMU also teaches the pharmacy clinical diploma and has one of the highest preregistration pass rates so it can't be that bad i suppose. Liverpool is a fairly cheap place to live too, and depending on your family's income you may be able to get a NON REPAYABLE bursary for up to £1000. Also, the halls are privately owned so you can stay in them for the whole four years and not have to get a potentially dodgy house miles away from the building - most of the halls are within a 5-10 minute walk away.

If you fancy traveling abroad during your MPharm then KCL does offer the ERASMUS program within its course, which is not advertised within LJMU. However, organising placements abroad is also possible through the BPSA (British Pharmaceutical Students' Association) which has a strong presence within LJMU. Another reason to go to KCL would be if you really like the idea of living in and/or around London - but this comes with a price and raised competition for summer placements in that area, but you will get this in Manchester and Liverpool as well.

People will tell you that going to KCL will give you better chances of getting a job than someone who goes to LJMU. This is also complete and utter dross. If a school of pharmacy is accredited by the RPSGB, and you pass the preregistration year, you will be fine getting a job. Due to the nature of pharmacy jobs the interviewers will be more interested in your personal life and your communication & interpersonal skills than which uni you studied at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TigerSwift)
    Hmmmm, depends what you want to look at and if you want to look at it in a biased light or not - and actually weigh things up properly.

Firstly, the atmospheres of the two universities will be completely different to each other and one of the main reasons that determines if people enjoy uni is if they actually feel comfortable there. Liverpool is a fairly nice city and no where near as bad as people make it out to be and the people on the course, including the staff, are fairly down to earth and approachable. LJMU also has one of the most active pharmacy social bodies there is, getting more students to its ball than any other pharmacy student association i know of. I would suggest visiting the universities and the surrounding areas to find out for yourself.

People will automatically say KCL is better than LJMU simply because it is a 'prestigious uni' which generally means sod all when it comes to Pharmacy schools as they tend to be their own entity within that university while also being accredited by the RPSGB, an outside professional and regulatory body for pharmacy (don't trust those bizarre things called league tables). Therefore both courses are FULLY accredited by the RPSGB to teach pharmacy. Also... just a little fact: LJMU is the second oldest pharmacy school in the country.

LJMU also teaches the pharmacy clinical diploma and has one of the highest preregistration pass rates so it can't be that bad i suppose. Liverpool is a fairly cheap place to live too, and depending on your family's income you may be able to get a NON REPAYABLE bursary for up to £1000. Also, the halls are privately owned so you can stay in them for the whole four years and not have to get a potentially dodgy house miles away from the building - most of the halls are within a 5-10 minute walk away.

If you fancy traveling abroad during your MPharm then KCL does offer the ERASMUS program within its course, which is not advertised within LJMU. However, organising placements abroad is also possible through the BPSA (British Pharmaceutical Students' Association) which has a strong presence within LJMU. Another reason to go to KCL would be if you really like the idea of living in and/or around London - but this comes with a price and raised competition for summer placements in that area, but you will get this in Manchester and Liverpool as well.

People will tell you that going to KCL will give you better chances of getting a job than someone who goes to LJMU. This is also complete and utter dross. If a school of pharmacy is accredited by the RPSGB, and you pass the preregistration year, you will be fine getting a job. Due to the nature of pharmacy jobs the interviewers will be more interested in your personal life and your communication & interpersonal skills than which uni you studied at.
    Thanks , glad you're not biased towards LJMU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soul02)
    Thanks , glad you're not biased towards LJMU
    Well, reading the post back maybe it does read a bit biased, but that's maybe because i am happy at LJMU and that's all that matters really. Just thought i would give you a few facts about both unis and hopefully give you something to think about.

At the end of the day its you who's going to the uni, not anyone else on here, and you'll be spending 4 years of your life there - would be a shame to go to a supposed 'prestigious uni' and hate the atmosphere there when you could have gone somewhere you were more comfortable and were the degree is of equal worth.

ReputationRep:
    Well, reading the post back maybe it does read a bit biased, but that's maybe because i am happy at LJMU and that's all that matters really. Just thought i would give you a few facts about both unis and hopefully give you something to think about.

At the end of the day its you who's going to the uni, not anyone else on here, and you'll be spending 4 years of your life there - would be a shame to go to a supposed 'prestigious uni' and hate the atmosphere there when you could have gone somewhere you were more comfortable and were the degree is of equal worth.
    lol thanks all the same

ReputationRep:

So normally Bursaries are like a loan? and you have to pay that back to the uni? And wow so anyone can organise a study abroad scheme through BPSA from any uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamstein)
    So normally Bursaries are like a loan? and you have to pay that back to the uni? And wow so anyone can organise a study abroad scheme through BPSA from any uni?
    I'm not sure about other unis. LJMU normally check your income through the student loans company then say "here's a check for money we don't want back yes yes". Some universities may have some kind of hardship fund but you'd have to find out about each uni.

And yes about the student exchange program. If you're a BPSA member at a British (NB: doesn't not include Northern Ireland) School of Pharmacy then you can apply to take part in the Student Exchange Program. These usually take place during the summer.

CLICK HERE AND READ!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about other unis. LJMU normally check your income through the student loans company then say "here's a check for money we don't want back yes yes". Some universities may have some kind of hardship fund but you'd have to find out about each uni.

And yes about the student exchange program. If you're a BPSA member at a British (NB: doesn't not include Northern Ireland) School of Pharmacy then you can apply to take part in the Student Exchange Program. These usually take place during the summer.

CLICK HERE AND READ!!!
    Oh so it's not during study time it's during a holiday. Is it for work experience in pharmacy in a different country? Student exchange as in you pair up with a student from another country?

ReputationRep:
    All the information you need is on the website, click the link i posted. It involves pharmacy work in another country during a vacation period. Does not necessarily have to be a direct swap - there are chances for you to go over there and not have someone take your place (to put it roughly) in this country.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Depends on what floats your boat. On personal opinion i would say KCL, but im sure others would say LJMU for their own reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkySantosh)
    Depends on what floats your boat. On personal opinion i would say KCL, but im sure others would say LJMU for their own reasons.
    thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2008

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.