The Student Room Group

will cambridge accept me

hello i am in year 12. i got 11a* at gcse, aaa in as maths chemistry and physics, and a in a2 mathematics, and also did an eesw crest award challenge, and i code and have cs knowledge, and i would like to study cs at uni. will cambridge still accept me?
(edited 2 years ago)
What other A level grades did you get or are you waiting for results?
Original post by eggfarmer69
hello i got 11a* at gcse, aaa in as maths chemistry and physics, and a in a2 mathematics, and also did an eesw crest award challenge, and i code and have cs knowledge, and i would like to study cs at uni. will cambridge still accept me?

gcses check out but Cambridge don't care about them much (would actually be better if you applied to Oxford since 11 A*s will help you a lot over there whilst making 0 difference here). You're in a weaker position without having done further maths and only having an A in mathematics (they would much prefer an A*). Its not impossible but i'd guess no
Reply 3
Original post by leviticus.
gcses check out but Cambridge don't care about them much (would actually be better if you applied to Oxford since 11 A*s will help you a lot over there whilst making 0 difference here). You're in a weaker position without having done further maths and only having an A in mathematics (they would much prefer an A*). Its not impossible but i'd guess no

i see thank you
Reply 4

what is your view on resits? also i will do further maths as and a2 courses in year 13
(edited 2 years ago)
what is your view on resits? also i will do further maths as and a2 courses in year 13

I don't think they would view a re-sit positively and you don't need to anyway; having an A won't automatically reject you it just makes you less competitive, the way to counter this would be to get an A* in further mathematics as most colleges only need an A* in one of the two.
Gentle warning; the computer science interviews (and the course in general) is very mathematical. So make sure you love maths.
Reply 6
I don't think they would view a re-sit positively and you don't need to anyway; having an A won't automatically reject you it just makes you less competitive, the way to counter this would be to get an A* in further mathematics as most colleges only need an A* in one of the two.
Gentle warning; the computer science interviews (and the course in general) is very mathematical. So make sure you love maths.

okay, thank you again. how best can i prepare for the interviews?
okay, thank you again. how best can i prepare for the interviews?

Well, you have covered the entire A-level syllabus before most fellow interviewees so be prepared for them to start the interview off there and progress further. Make sure you're really familiar with the entire syllabus and practise thinking out loud so they understand your thought process. Computer science will be somewhat similar to a maths interview so perhaps brainteasers would be good preparation; crucially there are YouTube videos of mock comp sci interviews at Cambridge so give them a watch. Would focus on nailing the entrance exam though :smile:

Side note: If you don't get into Cambridge/Oxford or any other top comp sci schools like Imperial, UCL etc (idk the specific ones) and you finish sixth form with A*A*A*A - reapply. You are guaranteed an interview at Cambridge if you get 3 x A*s and are guaranteed to be pooled (if the college you applied to can't take you then other colleges can see your profile and decide to take you - a quarter to half of cambridge admits are accepted by another college.): https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/707794/response/1693277/attach/3/FOI%202020%20851%20Williams%20materials.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Quick Reply

Latest