Am I eligible for student finance as a spouse of a British Citizen

Watch this thread
mrskushila
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Please help me.I would like some clarity on which application for finance I should be on. I previously received an Advanced Learner Loan as the spouse of a UK national and all I needed to provide was our marriage certificate, passports and my Biometric card.

After completing that course, I have now been accepted to Uni starting Sept 21. I thought the process was going to be the same as when I got my Advanced Learner Loan but the advisor I spoke to on the phone said I would not be eligible because I am on a spouse visa. (I satisfy the 3 year criteria before the first day of my course.)
I am very confused by this because on the .gov website it does state that a family member of a UK citizen can apply for student finance. I have also read the guidance of how you are assessed and it also states the same.
Can anyone clarify what I need to do because I am struggling to find acceptable evidence to cover the entire 20 years I have lived in the UK.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mrskushila)
Please help me.I would like some clarity on which application for finance I should be on. I previously received an Advanced Learner Loan as the spouse of a UK national and all I needed to provide was our marriage certificate, passports and my Biometric card.

After completing that course, I have now been accepted to Uni starting Sept 21. I thought the process was going to be the same as when I got my Advanced Learner Loan but the advisor I spoke to on the phone said I would not be eligible because I am on a spouse visa. (I satisfy the 3 year criteria before the first day of my course.)
I am very confused by this because on the .gov website it does state that a family member of a UK citizen can apply for student finance. I have also read the guidance of how you are assessed and it also states the same.
Can anyone clarify what I need to do because I am struggling to find acceptable evidence to cover the entire 20 years I have lived in the UK.

Hi there,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
Hi,

Thanks for responding.
1. De Montfort University, Mental Health Nursing
2. 40
3.Zimbabwean, Spouse Leave to Remain, 20 years 6 months
4. Level 3 Diploma Adult Care I
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hi,

Thanks for responding.
1. De Montfort University, Mental Health Nursing
2. 40
3.Zimbabwean, Spouse Leave to Remain, 20 years 6 months
4. Level 3 Diploma Adult Care I
Our guidance states:

Full support will be available to non-UK national family members of UK nationals, where:
• both the UK national and the family member were
• resident in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020, or • resident in the UK on 31 December 2020 and resident in the EEA or Switzerland immediately before moving to the UK on or after 1st January 2018, and
• both the UK national and the family members were ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course.

If you meet this criteria then you can apply as a home student for full support.
Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Our guidance states:

Full support will be available to non-UK national family members of UK nationals, where:
• resident in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020, or • resident in the UK on 31 December 2020 and resident in the EEA or Switzerland immediately before moving to the UK on or after 1st January 2018, and
• both the UK national and the family members were ordinarily resident in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland for three years prior to the first day of the first AY of the course.

If you meet this criteria then you can apply as a home student for full support.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you so much Isaac!!! I have been stressing and struggling with the 20 year long residence evidence. How do I change my application from Long residence to UK national family member and which form do I use?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Thank you so much Isaac!!! I have been stressing and struggling with the 20 year long residence evidence. How do I change my application from Long residence to UK national family member and which form do I use?
You don't need to switch the form.

If you have been asked to send long residency evidence you should call us or message us on Twitter/Facebook and ask the advisor to refer your account to the residency team so they can assess you as a non UK National Family member of a UK National.

We will ask for your id, your spouses id, your status(biometric card can be used for ID and status) and your marriage certificate.

Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
Thank you so much. You have been so helpful to me. Have a great weekend!!!
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Thank you so much. You have been so helpful to me. Have a great weekend!!!
You're welcome. I hope you have a lovely weekend too.
Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
You're welcome. I hope you have a lovely weekend too.
Thanks, Isaac
Unfortunately they have come back to me and said I am not eligible for full support because I was already in the UK on 1 January 2018. I am now applying for tuition fees only using EU21N form. I must say this has been a very unpleasant experience for me. Every advisor I have spoke to has told me something different. I am just hoping this is resolved before September.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Unfortunately they have come back to me and said I am not eligible for full support because I was already in the UK on 1 January 2018. I am now applying for tuition fees only using EU21N form. I must say this has been a very unpleasant experience for me. Every advisor I have spoke to has told me something different. I am just hoping this is resolved before September.
Do you meet the below criteria?

Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
I thought I did because I have lived in the UK since 2001, my husband and I have both been resident here for the last 3 years and I have had my visa for 3 years so will be well over 3 years on the first day of my course. An advisor even confirmed that I satisfy the criteria but after reassesment, I was told I either have to carry on with long residence to get full support( I had a few gaps in my evidence due to time that has gone by I just cannot get anything to fill those gaps and what I did send was rejected) or apply for tuition fees only via form EU21N.

Even after quoting the guidance I was told it does not apply to me because I did not move from the EEA or Switzerland on or after January 2018. Even though I have been living here legally for the last 3 years prior to my course and I am the family member of a UK national. At this point I am exhausted and so confused by the guidance as well as each advisor interpreting it differently.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I thought I did because I have lived in the UK since 2001, my husband and I have both been resident here for the last 3 years and I have had my visa for 3 years so will be well over 3 years on the first day of my course. An advisor even confirmed that I satisfy the criteria but after reassesment, I was told I either have to carry on with long residence to get full support( I had a few gaps in my evidence due to time that has gone by I just cannot get anything to fill those gaps and what I did send was rejected) or apply for tuition fees only via form EU21N.

Even after quoting the guidance I was told it does not apply to me because I did not move from the EEA or Switzerland on or after January 2018. Even though I have been living here legally for the last 3 years prior to my course and I am the family member of a UK national. At this point I am exhausted and so confused by the guidance as well as each advisor interpreting it differently.
If you message us on Facebook/Twitter then myself or a colleague can review your account.

If it's unclear when we review your account, we can refer your account to the residency department and ask them for clarification.
Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
Thank you Isaac. I will do that now.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Thank you Isaac. I will do that now.
You're welcome
mrskushila
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi Isaac, I am back with an update. I applied using the EU form and was awarded tuition fees only. I have since looked at my long residence evidence again and was able to find bank statements covering some of the gaps. My problem is that they also rejected UK Border Agency/ Home Office letters addressed to me that I had included in my evidence bundle. This has left me quite confused because on the list of acceptable evidence I was sent UK Border Agency letters are included. Should I resubmit them and try again for a maintenance loan based on long residence?
mrskushila
Rep:
You're welcome
Hi Isaac, I am back with an update. I applied using the EU form and was awarded tuition fees only. I have since looked at my long residence evidence again and was able to find bank statements covering some of the gaps. My problem is that they also rejected UK Border Agency/ Home Office letters addressed to me that I had included in my evidence bundle. This has left me quite confused because on the list of acceptable evidence I was sent UK Border Agency letters are included. Should I resubmit them and try again for a maintenance loan based on long residence?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi there,

You can view an acceptable list of residency evidence here http://ow.ly/d/8owa

It's difficult to provide advice without reviewing your account because I can't see what is happening or what has been said. We do have the non UK National family member of a UK National criteria which you could meet without providing long residence.

If you do message us on Twitter/Facebook we will be able to review your account.

Thanks, Isaac
mrskushila
Rep:
Thanks Isaac. This list has explanations so It has helped me to determine that I do not qualify. I found out today that I could have deferred as I will have 5 years legal residency next year but it is too late as my course starts on Monday and I have already enrolled. Thanks again for helping me clarify everything from the start. You have been most helpful.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Thanks Isaac. This list has explanations so It has helped me to determine that I do not qualify. I found out today that I could have deferred as I will have 5 years legal residency next year but it is too late as my course starts on Monday and I have already enrolled. Thanks again for helping me clarify everything from the start. You have been most helpful.
I'm glad I've been able to help you. If you are only eligible from next year, you could speak to the university and defer.

If you do have any further queries please let me know.

Thanks, Isaac
Kangausaru
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I’m 19 and have to start uni this year but i have been living in thr uk for 2 years now but both my parents are british and have been living here for more that 10 years … so can i apply for government funding? I have an indefinite leave to enter ( the one with no limit to stay in the uk)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (15)
57.69%
The paper was reasonable (9)
34.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (0)
0%
It was TERRIBLE (2)
7.69%

Watched Threads