long_vacation
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am a student who spent the last one and a half year studying in Canada. I didn't have the opportunity to study chemistry in the last one and a half year so I have been learning GCSE Chemistry by myself using this book. I want to know whether this book covers all the content of GCSE Chemistry or not. Also, are there other good books to use for studying GCSE Chemistry or preparing for Alevel Chemistry?Thank you
Attached files
Last edited by long_vacation; 3 months ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by long_vacation)
Hi, I am a student who spent the last one and a half year studying in Canada. I didn't have the opportunity to study chemistry in the last one and a half year so I have been learning GCSE Chemistry by myself using this book. I want to know whether this book covers all the content of GCSE Chemistry or not. Also, are there other good books to use for studying GCSE Chemistry or preparing for Alevel Chemistry?Thank you
Since your goal appears to be preparation for studying A level chemistry (as opposed to studying to take GCSE chemistry exams) then that book is fine and covers all the important topics and most of the topics covered by all of the GCSE specs. It is also the current textbook for AQA, i.e. the current 9-1 grading system as opposed to the old A*-G system.

Our college chose the AQA GCSE as it is one of the more stretching specs and should help prepare our students (who are mostly grade 9) if they chose to do A level chemistry. Personally, I think the IGCSE specs are even more stretching. If you were thinking of getting hold of another book, I'd suggest tracking down one of these, it doesn't really matter which one.

As a further thought, you could get yourself copies of Advanced Chemistry 1 & 2 by Philip Matthews (1992) which is a really easy to read book/s which covers most of any current A level spec's content. I got mine from Amazon for 1p each + carriage.
long_vacation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Since your goal appears to be preparation for studying A level chemistry (as opposed to studying to take GCSE chemistry exams) then that book is fine and covers all the important topics and most of the topics covered by all of the GCSE specs. It is also the current textbook for AQA, i.e. the current 9-1 grading system as opposed to the old A*-G system.

Our college chose the AQA GCSE as it is one of the more stretching specs and should help prepare our students (who are mostly grade 9) if they chose to do A level chemistry. Personally, I think the IGCSE specs are even more stretching. If you were thinking of getting hold of another book, I'd suggest tracking down one of these, it doesn't really matter which one.

As a further thought, you could get yourself copies of Advanced Chemistry 1 & 2 by Philip Matthews (1992) which is a really easy to read book/s which covers most of any current A level spec's content. I got mine from Amazon for 1p each + carriage.
Thank you for your suggestions. Will surely search for these books!
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
not a book but this website covers most of the gcse chemistry course, it might help you a bit.
https://www.science-revision.co.uk/site_index.html
long_vacation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by scimus63)
not a book but this website covers most of the gcse chemistry course, it might help you a bit.
https://www.science-revision.co.uk/site_index.html
Thank you Btw is there any chapter in GCSE Chemistry that is not useful or less important in Alevel Chemistry? ( For example, chapters like Crude Oil and Fuels, Earth's atmosphere and resources)
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you Btw is there any chapter in GCSE Chemistry that is not useful or less important in Alevel Chemistry? ( For example, chapters like Crude Oil and Fuels, Earth's atmosphere and resources)
It depends on which A level spec you end up studying.

Do you know what you'll be doing? Do you know where you'll be studying?
long_vacation
Rep:
?
It depends on which A level spec you end up studying.

Do you know what you'll be doing? Do you know where you'll be studying?
Yes. I will be studying in Twynham Sixth Form and I believe their A level spec is OCR A Chemistry
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes. I will be studying in Twynham Sixth Form and I believe their A level spec is OCR A Chemistry
If you are single minded about only learning the chemistry needed to study OCR A, then the best thing to do would be to get the spec. and see for yourself what is and isn't on that spec. And then limit your GCSE preparation to those topics.

For the record: there is virtually nothing on crude oil; just about no atmospheric nonsense and very little to do with 'resources' on the OCR A spec. (wot I teach).

But, the longer term Q is: do you plan to use chemistry in your degree choice? Would a solid grounding by reading around the subject help? Also do you plan to do any competition papers, e.g. Olympiad? C3L6? If so, sticking rigidly to the OCR A spec. will be a disadvantage there.
long_vacation
Rep:
?
If you are single minded about only learning the chemistry needed to study OCR A, then the best thing to do would be to get the spec. and see for yourself what is and isn't on that spec. And then limit your GCSE preparation to those topics.

For the record: there is virtually nothing on crude oil; just about no atmospheric nonsense and very little to do with 'resources' on the OCR A spec. (wot I teach).

But, the longer term Q is: do you plan to use chemistry in your degree choice? Would a solid grounding by reading around the subject help? Also do you plan to do any competition papers, e.g. Olympiad? C3L6? If so, sticking rigidly to the OCR A spec. will be a disadvantage there.
Thanks for replying again. I don't think I will do any competition papers (at least not now). At this moment, I want to study Engineering subjects so I think learning about chemistry would help. I might read the contents that are not in the spec of OCR A at my free time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads