The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I got EE, which is above the bar so probably going to get pretty annoyed at the noise at times...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 381
I ended up in Dockett for some bizarre reason, but fortunately the reviews say it's quite warm and cosy...

Woo, I'm a darksider!
Reply 382
Heya, I know you guys are all talking about going in September. But can someone try and convince me to apply to Queens? Its between Queens and RObinsons atm and i have no idea which to apply to!

Thanks x
Reply 383
Well, Queens' is pretty much at the top for most of the criteria you could have when choosing a college.

Location; great because it's central. It's old and pretty (have you visited? The old side is split into lots of little old quads instead of one huge and austere one, it's much cosier), and is on the Cam so it has punts etc.
Academic; it varies from year to year but they were 5th on Tompkin's for something like 7 years running. Basically in terms of prestige, there's the elite colleges like St. John's and Trinity, and then there's a second band of old, well respected colleges, which Queens' is one of.
Social; it's a good size (medium to large) so you can get to know everybody but you're not restricted friendswise. It's also got a reputation as a 'nice' college. Their Ents are quite famous.

Robinson on the other hand is out of town, is overwhelmingly made of nasty lego bricks, and kind of in the 'third band' with regards to prestige. I don't imagine it's that famous for social events either, although I'm sure the people there are just as nice.
Arla_Web
Heya, I know you guys are all talking about going in September. But can someone try and convince me to apply to Queens? Its between Queens and RObinsons atm and i have no idea which to apply to!

Thanks x

Haha, selling it before we've even got there are we Xei?

I agree though, Queens' over Robinson every time. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. The colleges are all good so just pick one you think looks nice. One of the reasons I picked Queens' was because they had this really cool conveyer belt thing to put your used dishes on and I thought "Woah, I gotta apply here!" True story.
Reply 385
That sounds intense.

I really can't remember why I picked Queens' over the other colleges... I think basically it just stuck in my mind as being beautiful, the little quads are so cute. :B

I didn't have the arrogance to apply to Trinity (no offence to them, I'm just not that weirdly good at maths...), but then I was kinda arrogant enough to not apply to somewhere hideous like Churchill (no offence again, it's just that... Churchill is truly sickening).

Oh and Queens' has pianos.
Arla_Web

Thanks x

I can't comment on Robinson. But Queens' is dead convenient as it's so central (especially for arts students), it's really pretty, and the general atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. The library is in the old chapel, and is a lovely place to work. It's actually one of the bigger colleges so there's lots of people to know, but you wouldn't think it - it feels really quite small and friendly. :smile: The social scene is good. Also we have punts that you can take out for a couple of quid if you're a student, squash courts and a nice bar. :biggrin: Also we aren't overrun by tourists like places like King's - Queens' is quite nicely tucked away.

In addition to which, you get to walk over the bridge on your way to the buttery/the library and admire the view downriver/feel faintly smug at tourists on Silver Street/laugh at people punting ineptly. :p: I'm very fond of Queens' and glad I applied there.

ETA: I'm back in Cripps next year, BB25. Come and knock on my door, I don't bite. :smile:
Question for any current students: is it necessary (or helpful?) to bring either or both of an iron and ironing board or a clothes horse (for things that won't tumble dry)?
TheUnbeliever
Question for any current students: is it necessary (or helpful?) to bring either or both of an iron and ironing board or a clothes horse (for things that won't tumble dry)?

Iron, yes, as the ones in the laundry rooms are rubbish. Don't bother with an ironing board. If you're really fussed there are some in the laundry rooms. In the Cripps laundry room there's space to hang stuff to dry over warm pipes. A clothes horse might be worth it if you have space in your room, but I personally wouldn't bother. :smile:
hyper-little-mushroom-men
Iron, yes, as the ones in the laundry rooms are rubbish. Don't bother with an ironing board. If you're really fussed there are some in the laundry rooms. In the Cripps laundry room there's space to hang stuff to dry over warm pipes. A clothes horse might be worth it if you have space in your room, but I personally wouldn't bother. :smile:

Just some final questions directed to students:

1. How is the vegetarian food? And how good are the self catering facilities
2. Can you ask for ensuite accommodation? If so, whats usually the rent per week? the prospectus says rent tobe between £75-100
3. Are you allowed a mini fridge inside your room?

Thanks, I really love queens and have been there quite a few times. Ironically, i am also stuck (a bit) between robinson and queens but now have my mind made up for queens.
divinelord
2. Can you ask for ensuite accommodation? If so, whats usually the rent per week? the prospectus says rent tobe between £75-100

There are ensuites. I don't know if you can explicitly request one, since I didn't get a choice in my accommodation, but you won't be guaranteed one, even if you can.

In terms of rents, you can get a good idea of them by looking at the rooms browser on the JCR site (although you might want to increase them slightly - my room is claimed to be about £920/term but I'm actually paying just over £970). Specifically, if you look here there are some room rents for ensuites. Divide by 10 to get an idea of what that is per week.
TheUnbeliever
There are ensuites. I don't know if you can explicitly request one, since I didn't get a choice in my accommodation, but you won't be guaranteed one, even if you can.

In terms of rents, you can get a good idea of them by looking at the rooms browser on the JCR site (although you might want to increase them slightly - my room is claimed to be about £920/term but I'm actually paying just over £970). Specifically, if you look here there are some room rents for ensuites. Divide by 10 to get an idea of what that is per week.

Fantastic link, thanks. If only that had pictures aswell :p:
Now to find out vegetarian meals and catering services, then i put down queens in UCAS
How good is the gym at queens?

I found this on the website

"The College has a small Multigym situated in Lyon Court. The Multigym is equipped with two stationary cycles, a leg curl/extension machine, a hip flexion machine, a squat machine, a tread mill, a cross trainer and multi-station with bench press, pull down and a chin-up bar."

This sounds pretty limited so is there another gym people normally go to?
Dogkicker91
This sounds pretty limited so is there another gym people normally go to?

Obviously I'm not, yet, a current student, but I think Fenner's sees some use. That requires a further membership fee, though.
TheUnbeliever
Obviously I'm not, yet, a current student, but I think Fenner's sees some use. That requires a further membership fee, though.

Sweet that looks alot better, cheers.
On the accommodation review website for Cripps court http://qjcr.org.uk/rooms/browse/building/cripps, some of the rooms are in white and have a 'taken' status. Out of all the rooms people on the Queens' freshers group accommodation topic on facebook have been allocated, none have that status.

Could be a coincidence but does anyone know if I'm right in guessing that those rooms will be occupied by second years? Just wondering because the other 2 rooms in my corridor are both 'taken', not that I'd have a problem having 2 second year neighbours :smile:
maltodextrin
On the accommodation review website for Cripps court http://qjcr.org.uk/rooms/browse/building/cripps, some of the rooms are in white and have a 'taken' status. Out of all the rooms people on the Queens' freshers group accommodation topic on facebook have been allocated, none have that status.

Could be a coincidence but does anyone know if I'm right in guessing that those rooms will be occupied by second years? Just wondering because the other 2 rooms in my corridor are both 'taken', not that I'd have a problem having 2 second year neighbours :smile:

If you look here:

http://qjcr.org.uk/rooms/choice/monitor

you can see where all the 2nd years are staying
Thanks! Hannah Murray (skins actor apparently) is on the same floor as me :biggrin:
divinelord
Just some final questions directed to students:

1. How is the vegetarian food? And how good are the self catering facilities
3. Are you allowed a mini fridge inside your room?

I am told by reliable sources that the veggie food at Robinson is truly dire. At Queens' it's largely middling-to-pretty-good, though some of it's slop (oh God, the veggie 'stroganoff'...) The salad bar is very good though, and there's always jacket potatoes in a pinch.

You're allowed a mini fridge in your room provided it complies with UK safety regulations. I asked the maintenance guy when I got mine last year. :smile:
hyper-little-mushroom-men
I am told by reliable sources that the veggie food at Robinson is truly dire. At Queens' it's largely middling-to-pretty-good, though some of it's slop (oh God, the veggie 'stroganoff'...) The salad bar is very good though, and there's always jacket potatoes in a pinch.

You're allowed a mini fridge in your room provided it complies with UK safety regulations. I asked the maintenance guy when I got mine last year. :smile:

Thanks for all that. I was going to post up that i have decided on queens no matter what, but that just improves my decision! I am going to apply to queens by next week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending