The Student Room Group
Reply 1
what did you want to know?
Reply 2
Give us a question and we'll try to answer it...!! Good luck!
Reply 3
oww...n can you help me instead?? hehe...the Q is..why ethanoic acid is a stronger acid in liquid ammonia than in water??
Reply 4
eidelweiss
oww...n can you help me instead?? hehe...the Q is..why ethanoic acid is a stronger acid in liquid ammonia than in water??

The pKa of ammonia is higher than that of water - NH3 is more basic, so that is more readily accepts a proton from the acid (consequently, the pKa of the acid is lowered in ammonia as the equilibrium is shifted towards the ethanoate anion) and, hence, it is stronger.

Ben
thanks to you all.tomorrow i have got phy 123,and then chem 123 the next day. so iam tensed
Reply 6
aw...thank you..one more..its quiet urgent!~ why does chlorine does not react with oxygen? by combustion i mean...i am getting confused here..how does the chlorine(v)oxide formed? please!!~ anybody?
i dont no why cl does not react with o2. but chlorine(V)oxide forms by the reaction of hot conc. NaOH and Cl2
3Cl2 + 6NaOH= NaClO3 +3H2O+5NaCl
Reply 8
huh?? we are studying bout period 3..all the elements like Na, Al, Mg, S, P, react with dry oxygen but the chlorine does not..why is that? that is the question..

Latest