The Student Room Group

When do you go off benefits?

as in say you’re on universal credit, working part time for 25 hours per week on weekdays earning minimum wage. I am just interested to know when you can actually close your claim?
(edited 2 years ago)
I think you can close it whenever you want, you aren't required to claim benefits (even if you are entitled to them). Contact the DWP and discuss how you can close your claim - I'm sure they will be happy to help since I suspect part of their jobs is to actually try and get people off UC by getting them into work etc.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I think you can close it whenever you want, you aren't required to claim benefits (even if you are entitled to them). Contact the DWP and discuss how you can close your claim - I'm sure they will be happy to help since I suspect part of their jobs is to actually try and get people off UC by getting them into work etc.

or is it when you get a full time job that you can leave the job centre? The job I am doing is only for 6 months.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anon346775
or is it when you get a full time job that you can leave the job centre? The job I am doing is only for 6 months.

Just call them and tell them you want to close your claim, if that's what you want to do.
Reply 4
as in say you’re on universal credit, working part time for 25 hours per week on weekdays earning minimum wage. I am just interested to know when you can actually close your claim?

from my understanding they take 63p off the money you are entitled to for every £1 you earn.

If it gets to the point you've earnt so much that you're not entitled to anything your claim is automatically closed. although there is nothing stopping you from closing it sooner.

tbh 25 hours at minimum wage should put you above the threshold and reduce your entitlement to zero. so expect them to close it after about 1 month ... unless you are claiming other benefits you are still eligible to collect with universal credit, in which case I don't see how they can close your universal credit.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ANM775
from my understanding they take 63p off the money you are entitled to for every £1 you earn.

If it gets to the point you've earnt so much that you're not entitled to anything your claim is automatically closed. although there is nothing stopping you from closing it sooner.

tbh 25 hours at minimum wage should put you above the threshold and reduce your entitlement to zero. so expect them to close it after about 1 month ... unless you are claiming other benefits you are still eligible to collect with universal credit, in which case I don't see how they can close your universal credit.

wait so they deducted my universal credit by £88.83 and my UC is now £255.17, is it going to go lower when I get minimum wage from my job next month?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
wait so they deducted my universal credit by £88.83 and my UC is now £255.17, is it going to go lower when I get minimum wage from my job next month?

If you receive another payment before the date they are next due to pay you then I'd say Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending