The Student Room Group

My Uni life is so different to home that it's made coming home feel unbearable

i'm sure you've seen these sorts of posts more than any other before , so for that I apologise.

So basically before uni I was pretty introverted, live in a boring village in the middle of nowhere with very few mates. However, I was happy with it . I just watched Netflix or whatever sport was on and got on with my life with no complaints.

Since I've been to uni, my life has drastically changed. I've made a lot of friends and tend to go out at least three times a week. I also generally enjoy the freedom to do what I want when I want at university, that also changes as soon as I come home. Because of this new and enjoyable lifestyle I have found coming home for summers absolutely unbearable, my mates aren't the message and text loads type of people and neither am i so it becomes very lonely and boring. i have few mates and limited things to do where i live. it's making me quite depressed.

so , does anyone else experience/ have experienced the same thing and what's your advice on this?
Can you not encourage your home friends to come out a little more? Maybe you can plan a weekend away somewhere or something.

Or is there anyway you can stay in uni accommodation over the summer, even for a few weeks.
I did a temp job in June/Mid-July then then spent the remaining time traveling or on holiday.
I did some volunteering whilst I was out there because I'd be able to put it on my CV. It basically made it more worthwhile.
Original post by yeetouttawindow
I did a temp job in June/Mid-July then then spent the remaining time traveling or on holiday.
I did some volunteering whilst I was out there because I'd be able to put it on my CV. It basically made it more worthwhile.

This is way better advice
I'm in a very similar situation from you - I do feel like I'm living two different lives between uni and at home. Although in some ways that's what makes it nice, as you value the peace and quiet of home more and also value the social life and excitement of uni more.

If you have a student house (private rental) on a 52-week contract then you could stay at uni all year round. I'm in halls so don't have that option. You could also spend the summer working/volunteering to boost your CV which would make your summer more bearable as you have a purpose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending