Why do men body shame other men?

Watch this thread
robin1123
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Even the men who have a no-judgment policy toward women's bodies have no issue partaking in bodyshaming of other men. Just curious why, because I haven't observed the same phenomenon in women.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
You’ve never seen women body-shame other women? With all due respect, you must be living under a rock.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 10 months ago
robin1123
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You’ve never seen women body-shame other women? With all due respect, you must be living under a rock.
Atleast not to the same extent. Women are less likely to fat shame other women, but men making fun of other men's penis, height or weight is a regular occurence
Jonathanツ
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Body shaming **to an extent** can be a good thing

As a pretty fat male myself, remembering the kids from school calling me chubby and stuff is one of my main motivators whenever I'm in the gym

If fat was not shamed then it is possible that more people would simply not care about being overweight
username5655466
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
It just shows their own insecurities tbh, they want to deflect onto others so no one notices their own.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
In my experience, women are on balance way worse than blokes for this
Byebyby
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by robin1123)
Atleast not to the same extent. Women are less likely to fat shame other women, but men making fun of other men's penis, height or weight is a regular occurence
I've seen women doing all of these things online, particularly the first two. Don't know what you're getting at
username4521132
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by robin1123)
at school yes
not so much when youre a fully grown man
goggleyed
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Dudes are becoming just as bishhy as women nowadays, its pretty pathetic.
chlamydia9000
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Men aren't preoccupied with other guys appearance the same way women are about other women. There's no b*tchy texts, gossiping or conspiring. The last time I saw my friend I said to him 'Jesus you're well in to the obese zone now' and he replied 'says you, you fat *******', and that was the end of it. No malice involved and we certainly don't discuss knob sizes.
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I don't think men do body shame often? Not as much as women anyway. Sure, men take the mick out of skinny and fat guys - but rightly so, they can do better than that. Fat people especially need to hear it if you ask me, because usually it's a form of encouragement to lose weight - harsh encouragement but encouragement nonetheless.

I think the main difference is that men often body shame for other men not meeting good fitness standards, while women do so far more in physical traits one might not be able to control like the size of ones hips or broad shoulders. I think that's much more psychologically damaging than telling a fat bloke to lose the pounds if you ask me, since the latter is actually achievable. :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads