The Student Room Group

Autism Diagnosis Without Parents

I'm currently accessing children and adolescent mental health services and my key worker mentioned that she suspects I may have autism, would it be possible to have an omward referral for an autism assessment without my parents knowing and being involved in the assessment, diagnosis and care process? I'm too embarrassed to mention I wouldn't want my parents to be involved if I wouldn't even be allowed. I'm 16 btw.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently accessing children and adolescent mental health services and my key worker mentioned that she suspects I may have autism, would it be possible to have an omward referral for an autism assessment without my parents knowing and being involved in the assessment, diagnosis and care process? I'm too embarrassed to mention I wouldn't want my parents to be involved if I wouldn't even be allowed. I'm 16 btw.

The basic assumption in law is that 16 year olds are able to make healthcare choices of their own without parental involvement - unless there is a clear indication that they are not competent. So in theory, you should be able to do this. However, the professionals involved in any assessment will want your parents' perspective (for example, in order to gain information about your early history, wider family history and so on). Without it, they may not be able to provide an adequate assessment. If you are still living at home, not involving your parents would also make providing whatever help you might need subsequently difficult. So CAMHS - or the service that carries out ASD assessments in your area - will have a default assumption that parents would be involved.

I'd add that you'd be well advised to get this assessment done now, while you are still in CAMHS. Once you become an adult, getting diagnosed with ASD is much more problematic, and often means paying privately.

Good luck anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by OxFossil
The basic assumption in law is that 16 year olds are able to make healthcare choices of their own without parental involvement - unless there is a clear indication that they are not competent. So in theory, you should be able to do this. However, the professionals involved in any assessment will want your parents' perspective (for example, in order to gain information about your early history, wider family history and so on). Without it, they may not be able to provide an adequate assessment. If you are still living at home, not involving your parents would also make providing whatever help you might need subsequently difficult. So CAMHS - or the service that carries out ASD assessments in your area - will have a default assumption that parents would be involved.

I'd add that you'd be well advised to get this assessment done now, while you are still in CAMHS. Once you become an adult, getting diagnosed with ASD is much more problematic, and often means paying privately.

Good luck anyway.

Thank you! Yeah, that's what I thought regarding them wanting a parents perspective.

Yeah, I was sort of worried that waiting for a referral and then going on waitlist would mean I'll end up being older than ideal for getting the potential diagnosis.

I don't know what to do, I'm really conflicted. :s-smilie:

I think I'll just brave it/suck it up and ask.
Thank you! Yeah, that's what I thought regarding them wanting a parents perspective.

Yeah, I was sort of worried that waiting for a referral and then going on waitlist would mean I'll end up being older than ideal for getting the potential diagnosis.

I don't know what to do, I'm really conflicted. :s-smilie:

I think I'll just brave it/suck it up and ask.

I suspect that, sooner or later, your parents will realise something is up! You are probably right, and it's one of those "bite the bullet" moments. Hope it goes well.
Reply 4

Something which would be part of the assessment process would be the completion of a trio of questionnaires, one of which is for parents/family/other relevant people to do.

Could I ask why you would not want your parents to know about an onward referral to the autism diagnosis team?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
Something which would be part of the assessment process would be the completion of a trio of questionnaires, one of which is for parents/family/other relevant people to do.

Could I ask why you would not want your parents to know about an onward referral to the autism diagnosis team?

My parent would be reluctant to allow me.
Reply 6
My parent would be reluctant to allow me.

How come?

Quick Reply

Latest