The Student Room Group

Sajid Javid appointed Health Secretary

Vaguely competent, so that's two of the cabinet I would keep were I forming a Conservative government (Ben Wallace the other).

In case anyone has forgotten, his dad was a bus driver. I thought worth mentioning before Sadiq Khan reminds you.
Never seen any reason to dislike him, but can’t say he’s ever stood out in any particular way either.. pretty perfect for a Tory minister then.
Seems like it must be quite awkward for him, given he was essentially sacked as the chancellor.
Original post by SHallowvale
Seems like it must be quite awkward for him, given he was essentially sacked as the chancellor.
He was, but quite amicably. Let's compare to Gove, who was betrayed by the PM in pantomime fashion a few years previously - and has slithered back into the fold. Patel was sacked for meeting other governments without telling anybody - pretty dodgy. But now she's in a great office of state having basically been promoted despite coming close to treason just a few years ago. Javid looks like a walk in the park compared to those two artists.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Never seen any reason to dislike him, but can’t say he’s ever stood out in any particular way either.. pretty perfect for a Tory minister then.

I agree - he hasn't done anything which I could reasonably criticise or disagree with and definitely has experience with running departments as both Home Secretary and Chancellor.

ASFAIK he resigned on his own accord as Chancellor in protest at Cummings' demands about sacking advisors. He clearly has some principles to sacrifice his career over that compared to the rest who just went along with it.

Even recently he's been pushing a bill to raise to minimum age of marriage (to tackle arranged marriages) which politically isn't that advantageous for him, but is something he was passionate about given his Asian background and how arranged marriages are more common in that culture.
He may prove to be the most competent health secretary appointment since Andy Burnham.
Should have appointed Chris Grayling.
Original post by Trilobite.

Chris Grayling is the only person never to have been a minister under Boris Johnson who is worse than all but two of the cabinet ministers currently. Indeed if poor performance (as opposed to corrupt practices) was the sole judge of a minister, I challenge anyone to name a worse minister ever.

To make all the previous Conservative HS's since 2010 look competent by comparison? :tongue:
I quite like Sajid, he was a good local MP.
Original post by barnet1471
Chris Grayling is the only person never to have been a minister under Boris Johnson who is worse than all but two of the cabinet ministers currently. Indeed if poor performance (as opposed to corrupt practices) was the sole judge of a minister, I challenge anyone to name a worse minister ever.

Original post by londonmyst
To make all the previous Conservative HS's since 2010 look competent by comparison? :tongue:

And his incompetence was rewarded with further ministerial positions.

His success is an inspiration to everyone who is a complete **** up.
And his incompetence was rewarded with further ministerial positions.

Hmm, making him Chief Medical Officer was probably a mistake.
An improvement, but not a huge one.
Original post by JOSH4598
I agree - he hasn't done anything which I could reasonably criticise or disagree

-Selling out to support Remain in the referendum.

-Whining about "islamophobia" in the Tory Party and wanting witch hunt in the party.

-Being a big time Zionist and neoCon.
Original post by Justvisited
Hmm, making him Chief Medical Officer was probably a mistake.

That's Chris Whitty.
Next slide please.
Original post by londonmyst
He may prove to be the most competent health secretary appointment since Andy Burnham.

Define 'competent'.

Partly because of Mid Staffs (ancient history though it is), partly because I think Jeremy Hunt was perfectly competent at doing what he was tasked with doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending