Turn on thread page Beta

Colin Powell backs Obama watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7678788.stm

What do you think the impact will be of an ex Republican Secretary of State backing this Democratic candidate?

Discuss.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yet more evidence that the Republican campaign is finished, screwed and doomed to failure. Sarah Palin didn't help, either.

ReputationRep:
    It has been expected for weeks. To be honest being backed by the Bush Administration guy who went into Iraq isn't always a good thing. In any case McCain has Haig, Kissenger, and a whole multitude of Secretaries of State backing him. Powell is only endorsing him because Barack is black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Powell is only endorsing him because Barack is black.
    So its that simple :rolleyes:

I got the impression it was more of an anti-republican vote than a pro-democrat vote. It sounded like he was just appalled at the pathetic and ill judged attempt of a presidential campaign ran by McCain and Palin. I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with it.

I don't really think it will make a huge difference to the election. It won't hurt Obama, it means another day of positive headlines for him, but in two weeks time noone will really be swayed by Powell's vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    So its that simple :rolleyes:

I got the impression it was more of an anti-republican vote than a pro-democrat vote. It sounded like he was just appalled at the pathetic and ill judged attempt of a presidential campaign ran by McCain and Palin. I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with it.

I don't really think it will make a huge difference to the election. It won't hurt Obama, it means another day of positive headlines for him, but in two weeks time noone will really be swayed by Powell's vote.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nce-moves.html

Says it all. He can't exactly say "I'm endoring Barack because he is black" can he? Plus dissing the Reps. makes Barack more likely to win.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is good for Obama. Even though Bush is extremely unpopular, Powell is not. Also, it takes media time away from McCain for a couple of days, which is really big as McCain has like 15 days to turn around his campaign.

ReputationRep:
    I think it will help Obama, despite Powell being a prominent member of the Bush administration. Mr Powell isn't unpopular like Bush is. The McCain camp are sending out messages of Obama not caring about the country's national security, especially with their despicable robocalls, so for someone who served in the military and government (later as a Secretay of State) for over 40 years to come out and support Obama is a good thing. The fact that he also criticised McCain's "erratic" economic policy and also Sarah Palin's readiness to become president must also have had a negative impact on the McCampaign in the eyes of some undecided voters.

All this combined the news that the Obama campaign had raised a record-smashing $150m in the month of September, "dwarfing his previous highest monthly amount of $65m, and bringing the total he has raised in the campaign to $605m" and also attracting his biggest US audience of the campaign as 100,000 people attended a rally in St Louis, Missouri, aaaand McCain failing to land a decisive blow in the final presidential debate last Wednesday rounds off a very good week for Obama.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it'll make much of a difference.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nce-moves.html

Says it all. He can't exactly say "I'm endoring Barack because he is black" can he? Plus dissing the Reps. makes Barack more likely to win.
    Well i guess your hate of the Obama has nothing to do with it. And the fact that he opposed the war even trying to talk Bush out of it meant nothing. Heres the interview where he clearly shows his dislike for Palin which is why he is supporting Obama.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKWlIEoNhOQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Well i guess your hate of the Obama has nothing to do with it. And the fact that he opposed the war even trying to talk Bush out of it meant nothing. Heres the interview where he clearly shows his dislike for Palin which is why he is supporting Obama.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKWlIEoNhOQ
    Okay you go ahead and trust a politician to be entirely truthful. He was taking political potshots at the Republican ticket. But that doesn't mean thats why he is endorsing Obama... If Obama was white Colin would be sticking with the GOP.

ReputationRep:
    Okay you go ahead and trust a politician to be entirely truthful. He was taking political potshots at the Republican ticket. But that doesn't mean thats why he is endorsing Obama... If Obama was white Colin would be sticking with the GOP.
    The cynic in me is telling me that the race element is definitely a big contributing factor, but then the Obama in me is telling me to shut up and just be happy :p:

(Original post by nothingspek)
    I doubt it'll make much of a difference.
    Any particular reason why?

ReputationRep:
    It can only do good for Obamha...

Because republicans cant slam him for it and as i remember Powel wasnt exactly crazy about iraq...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Any particular reason why?
    I feel it's too late to have that much of an impact now anyway. Most of the remaining voters are low information voters, and the majority probably don't even know who Powell is.

ReputationRep:
    I feel it's too late to have that much of an impact now anyway. Most of the remaining voters are low information voters, and the majority probably don't even know who Powell is.
    Fair enough. I think, as I think I alluded to earlier, it'll be the undecided voters, most importantly in the swing states, that this endorsement influences most. Most of them will know who Powell is, but the real question is probably whether or not they value Powell's endorsement at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Fair enough. I think, as I think I alluded to earlier, it'll be the undecided voters, most importantly in the swing states, that this endorsement influences most. Most of them will know who Powell is, but the real question is probably whether or not they value Powell's endorsement at all.
    That's what I meant; the undecided voters.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I meant; the undecided voters.
    I don't think the undecided voters are necessarily "low information voters" who won't know who Powell is. I think it's more the opposite. They're intelligent voters who don't have a particular allegiance to either party and are deciding between two very strong candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Well I could just as easily say that Joe Lieberman is only supporting McCain because they are both white :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Powell is only endorsing him because Barack is black.
    For someone who slates pro-pals for being 'simple', that was sweetly ironic.

ReputationRep:
    I think at this point in the election, endorsements shouldn't be significant enough to change anything drastically. By now most people have an idea of who they are backing. This is an endorsement that is a little too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperDaz)
    Well I could just as easily say that Joe Lieberman is only supporting McCain because they are both white :teeth:
    I was just about to say that. :five:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.