What days do Student Ambassadors typically work?

Watch
DiamondDia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I wanna become a Student Ambassador at my Uni, but I currently have a job and my shifts are Saturdays and half day on Sunday. The Student Ambassador role is a zero-hour contract one. For anyone who IS a Student Ambassador at their Uni, when do you typically get shifts, or are they mostly/always on Saturdays?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At my uni, there’s a mix of shifts available on weekdays and weekends. You simply pick the shifts you want to do.
DiamondDia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
At my uni, there’s a mix of shifts available on weekdays and weekends. You simply pick the shifts you want to do.
How long are your shifts usually? But thank you so much!
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by DiamondDia)
How long are your shifts usually? But thank you so much!
They’re usually 9-4 type roles but it really depends on what you’re doing - sometimes the shifts are 2 hour slots but you can book more than one if you’re free for longer, or they can be AM/PM slots. So for example, you could be a tour guide for prospective applicants, be part of interviewing people (if your degree does interviews) or be helping the clearing hotline during results day.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 months ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I wanna become a Student Ambassador at my Uni, but I currently have a job and my shifts are Saturdays and half day on Sunday. The Student Ambassador role is a zero-hour contract one. For anyone who IS a Student Ambassador at their Uni, when do you typically get shifts, or are they mostly/always on Saturdays?
When I was a student ambassador during my undergraduate degree, I would get texts from the co-ordinator asking for ambassadors for either open afternoons/open days, or to show a prospective student around for an unofficial guided tour. Open days were either on Wednesdays or Saturdays at my uni (around 9:30 until 4ish), while guided tours were around an hour or two. You had no obligation to accept every single request, but if you didn't accept at least 3 requests in an academic year, you got removed from the active student ambassador list.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 2 months ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey DiamondDia,

I'm currently a student ambassador at Coventry University, so shifts are very much up to you so since you have a job and work Saturdays and Sundays, If you let your line manager know you only prefer weekday shifts when asked for your availability you are very likely to be placed to work on those days. Unless there's like open days on Saturdays and stuff but you are usually asked if you want to work those weeks in advance to ensure you don't double book yourself.

Hope this helps!
Rachel, Coventry Campus, BA Business and Marketing.
DiamondDia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hey DiamondDia,

I'm currently a student ambassador at Coventry University, so shifts are very much up to you so since you have a job and work Saturdays and Sundays, If you let your line manager know you only prefer weekday shifts when asked for your availability you are very likely to be placed to work on those days. Unless there's like open days on Saturdays and stuff but you are usually asked if you want to work those weeks in advance to ensure you don't double book yourself.

Hope this helps!
Rachel, Coventry Campus, BA Business and Marketing.
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
When I was a student ambassador during my undergraduate degree, I would get texts from the co-ordinator asking for ambassadors for either open afternoons/open days, or to show a prospective student around for an unofficial guided tour. Open days were either on Wednesdays or Saturdays at my uni (around 9:30 until 4ish), while guided tours were around an hour or two. You had no obligation to accept every single request, but if you didn't accept at least 3 requests in an academic year, you got removed from the active student ambassador list.
Thank you everyone!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi! DiamondDia

I'm currently a student ambassador for the University of Portsmouth.
Open Days are usually on the weekend, so for those, it's on weekend.
However, other shifts like social media and advertising work are done during the week. This is usually flexible so you work in your own hours. Getting shifts is pretty often at my university too.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hiya DiamondDia,

I'm a student ambassador here at Reading, and our days are super flexible. We get the choice of when we want to work and how much we work which is great because when we have essays due etc, we are not committed to working when we don't have time. It's especially good being a digital ambassador because you have even more flexibility.

Typically our open days are on the weekends, which I'm sure will be similar at a lot of other uni's too. So maybe you wouldn't be able to do those, but there should be lots of other jobs that you can do during the week. I'd say to go for it because the whole idea of student ambassador jobs is that they are flexible, because the uni knows that your studies are the most important thing.

I hope this helps!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
DiamondDia
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! DiamondDia

I'm currently a student ambassador for the University of Portsmouth.
Open Days are usually on the weekend, so for those, it's on weekend.
However, other shifts like social media and advertising work are done during the week. This is usually flexible so you work in your own hours. Getting shifts is pretty often at my university too.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hiya DiamondDia,

I'm a student ambassador here at Reading, and our days are super flexible. We get the choice of when we want to work and how much we work which is great because when we have essays due etc, we are not committed to working when we don't have time. It's especially good being a digital ambassador because you have even more flexibility.

Typically our open days are on the weekends, which I'm sure will be similar at a lot of other uni's too. So maybe you wouldn't be able to do those, but there should be lots of other jobs that you can do during the week. I'd say to go for it because the whole idea of student ambassador jobs is that they are flexible, because the uni knows that your studies are the most important thing.

I hope this helps!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads