Arije384
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all. I am applying to college this upcoming year. My unweighted GPA is 3.82, weighted is 4.49, and ACT is 32. I have relatively strong EC’s as well in and out of school. I was wondering is someone could split apart these schools into sections of Safety, Target, and Reach schools:

Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Tulane
UCLA
UC Berkeley
USC
Wash-U
Duke
UNC
Vanderbilt
University of Miami
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Arije384)
Hi all. I am applying to college this upcoming year. My unweighted GPA is 3.82, weighted is 4.49, and ACT is 32. I have relatively strong EC’s as well in and out of school. I was wondering is someone could split apart these schools into sections of Safety, Target, and Reach schools:

Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State
Tulane
UCLA
UC Berkeley
USC
Wash-U
Duke
UNC
Vanderbilt
University of Miami
Thread moved to "Studying in North America". Firstly, you should note that this is a British forum, so you won't get many people who know or have experience with the US admissions process. You're better off asking on CollegeConfidential. However, also keep in mind that it depends on your letters of rec and essays just as much as your grades and ECs.

With that being said, I'll try to offer my opinion since I have recently experienced the admissions process (albeit as an international student from the UK - so my situation in admissions was very different). Firstly, it's worth noting that the UCs are test-blind for the upcoming admissions cycle, meaning they won't even consider your ACT score in their admissions process. The rest of your list are test-optional meaning you can submit scores, but you don't have to.

Your ACT score is high, so good job. However, the average ACT score range for Duke is 33-35, so you're slightly below this. This is the same with Vanderbilt and WashU. Personally, I'd be putting these (along with UC Berkeley and UCLA - because of the number of applications they get every year) as reach schools. USC I'd say is probably borderline target-reach. I'd also put UNC, Tulane, and Michigan as target schools. The rest may be able to go as safeties/targets. This is based on the average ACT score for each school, which I know isn't the best metric, but without more information on both you and the schools, it is difficult to build a full picture of your situation.
kamara41
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
Thread moved to "Studying in North America". Firstly, you should note that this is a British forum, so you won't get many people who know or have experience with the US admissions process. You're better off asking on CollegeConfidential. However, also keep in mind that it depends on your letters of rec and essays just as much as your grades and ECs.

With that being said, I'll try to offer my opinion since I have recently experienced the admissions process (albeit as an international student from the UK - so my situation in admissions was very different). Firstly, it's worth noting that the UCs are test-blind for the upcoming admissions cycle, meaning they won't even consider your ACT score in their admissions process. The rest of your list are test-optional meaning you can submit scores, but you don't have to.

Your ACT score is high, so good job. However, the average ACT score range for Duke is 33-35, so you're slightly below this. This is the same with Vanderbilt and WashU. Personally, I'd be putting these (along with UC Berkeley and UCLA - because of the number of applications they get every year) as reach schools. USC I'd say is probably borderline target-reach. I'd also put UNC, Tulane, and Michigan as target schools. The rest may be able to go as safeties/targets. This is based on the average ACT score for each school, which I know isn't the best metric, but without more information on both you and the schools, it is difficult to build a full picture of your situation.
Great reply! PRSOM

UNC's out of state acceptance rate has been around the 13% mark for the past couple years as 82% of acceptees have to be NC residents, so unless OP is an NC resident I would say it's a reach for everyone who's out of state, but other than that 100% agree
idonthavealife05
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No offence but you’re not gonna get a lot of responses since this is a British form
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.57%
I need help researching courses (12)
7.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.79%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
42.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.8%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.78%

Watched Threads