reading for sociology and politics

Watch this thread
lmd 1
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
does anyone have any suggestions of books on sociology and politics? i’m thinking of doing it at uni so i want to read up on it. thank u!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lmd 1)
does anyone have any suggestions of books on sociology and politics? i’m thinking of doing it at uni so i want to read up on it. thank u!
Hi there,

I am a final year Sociology student at the University of Bath.

That's great you want to do further reading before you start your course, I would recommend if you don't study Sociology or Politics currently looking at some A Level textbooks, which can give you a good introduction to the topic.

I am not as aware of Politics books, but the Sociology textbook by Anthony Giddens is a good read and a book I have referred to quite a bit at university. I would also recommend the Sociology textbook by James Fulcher and John Scott.

If you have any more questions, about studying Sociology at University, please feel free to ask

Isobel (A Final Year Sociology Student)
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lmd 1)
@Imd 1
Hello! I did my degree in Sociology, currently teaching social sciences.

You might get recommendations for the text book by Haralambos and Holborn which is very good for levels 3 and 4, although it over simplifies some of the more complicated stuff for a higher level.

A great introduction to symobolic interactionism is 'presentation of the self in everyday life' by Erving Goffman, although his book 'Asylums' is probably the most famous

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (60)
16.3%
The paper was reasonable (179)
48.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (37)
10.05%

Watched Threads