Film Studies vs Film Production (2021)

Watch this thread
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to become an actor when I am older, but I have been told I should have a backup career and for me that would be teaching.

I am currently doing my A Levels in Biology, Maths and Drama.

I want to study BA Film Studies/Film Production at university.
I then want to do a MA in Acting at a drama school.
Then afterwards do a PGCE for my teacher qualification.

I am possibly looking at teaching Film Studies/Media Studies/English/Drama.

What subject would you recommend me to study at university -
Film Studies or Film Production?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
If you don’t want to make films then a film production degree isn’t necessarily going to be of use. But if you want teaching as a backup then why not study drama/acting as a BA? It will give you opportunities to build your experience and you can still teach with those degrees (in fact drama/performing arts is more common as a PGCE subject than film/media).
Jonathanツ
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Film studies and film production are really quite different, I would just focus your efforts on doing some more research on each (and acting) to see which sounds best for you. The backup career idea is really smart though, you have a very good approach to making plans.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by emek4official)
I would like to become an actor when I am older, but I have been told I should have a backup career and for me that would be teaching.

I am currently doing my A Levels in Biology, Maths and Drama.

I want to study BA Film Studies/Film Production at university.
I then want to do a MA in Acting at a drama school.
Then afterwards do a PGCE for my teacher qualification.

I am possibly looking at teaching Film Studies/Media Studies/English/Drama.

What subject would you recommend me to study at university -
Film Studies or Film Production?
Hi!
It's so great that you're planning for the future and have goals in mind!
I currently study a film production degree at the University of Portsmouth so I am a great advocate of that course!
Film Studies is a course that is aimed at teaching you about how and why films are made - with film studies the focus is more on analysing pre-existing films and learning from their techniques, why they are doing certain things, and how the films were made. This is good for taking ideas from other films and getting inspiration from them; it enables you to talk about films in detail and learn from the techniques of previous filmmakers.
Whilst Film Production still offers a chance to analyse films and discuss them in detail, the focus is on how to make your own films; the editing, how to use a camera, lighting and sound, all the technical aspects that go into filmmaking.
If you are set on doing either film studies or film production as an undergraduate degree then that's great! Maybe look into what both courses will offer you. On most University websites they have a section that offers an insight into what roles people who have achieved that degree have gone into so that may be a good place to look too.
In terms of teaching, it depends whether you want to teach about how to make films (more towards film production), or the history of films (more towards film studies).
However, if you want to go into acting, it may be an idea to have a look at acting specific courses, as this is an area that most film courses don't really cover.
I have found that the Film Production course at the University of Portsmouth covers both the history of films and the process of making them - the best of both worlds!

Hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to get in contact if you have any other questions.

Michaela - UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (53)
69.74%
In the post (3)
3.95%
Text (10)
13.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
13.16%

Watched Threads