The Student Room Group

How the af do you pass the situational judgement tests for Tesco?

You'd think it'd be easy, right? Well, either my entire family are idiots or the test is just stupid. You're supposed to rank the responses to a situation (eg, store spillage) in order, from "more" to "less". Every single time I have done this test (bearing in mind it is EXACTLY the same questions) I have failed. They don't even tell you why, which is really useful. Has anyone passed these tests? I don't get why tehy are so difficult. Bearing in mind some of the total numbskulls these places generally employ (no disrespect). It annoys me - I had a similar one for Co Op, and did actually get the interview. The manager says he has never even seen the test. So these places are giving interviews to people who they have no idea of what is expected of them to get to that point. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, I'm autistic so this test may be biased against me in some way because I'm guessing these tests are made for neurotypical people.
Reply 1
Hi,
I am starting at Tesco tomorrow!

Just try to choose things that put the customer first but at the same time keeping the store running, a spillage is something that needs to be sorted immediately but you might not be trained to handle it yourself but it's your responsibility to find somone who is, or tell your manager so they can sort it whist you deal with customers.

Just try to put yourself in the other person in the situations shoes, what kind of service would you expect.

I do agree they are a bit biased against people with ASD, but they are a test for a reason and it is more of testing what the company is about rather than how you understand the situation. Supermarkets are all about the customer and their experience, never think your time is more important than the customers.
Reply 2
Original post by Max1989
Hi,
I am starting at Tesco tomorrow!

Just try to choose things that put the customer first but at the same time keeping the store running, a spillage is something that needs to be sorted immediately but you might not be trained to handle it yourself but it's your responsibility to find somone who is, or tell your manager so they can sort it whist you deal with customers.

Just try to put yourself in the other person in the situations shoes, what kind of service would you expect.

I do agree they are a bit biased against people with ASD, but they are a test for a reason and it is more of testing what the company is about rather than how you understand the situation. Supermarkets are all about the customer and their experience, never think your time is more important than the customers.

Yeah, I've always doen that.
So for the spillage one (i did it now)
I used to say i'd try and clean it up myself
Now i said get duty manager/in store housekeeper

I always try and put the customer first Ik that bit
If this one doesn't work (i've re-evaluated my approach totally) I don't know what will, maybe my CV isn't good enough for them.
Reply 3
Original post by fenton484
Yeah, I've always doen that.
So for the spillage one (i did it now)
I used to say i'd try and clean it up myself
Now i said get duty manager/in store housekeeper

I always try and put the customer first Ik that bit
If this one doesn't work (i've re-evaluated my approach totally) I don't know what will, maybe my CV isn't good enough for them.

They do have lots of applicants, don't dishearten yourself for one place not wanting to employ you, just keep applying, make sure your CV is clear and simply outlining your qualifications, experience and key skills.. My CV is no more than 300 words, one A4 page but only stuff on there is facts, no waffle. I have no experience at all. Short snappy and practice interviews with family or freinds and I'm sure you'll get a job.

If you are under 18 that might effect your chances with supermarkets as most have to pay standard rates not minimum wage (tesco is £8.91 an hour) and they will rather pay somone who legally can do everything than somone who can't.
Reply 4
Original post by Max1989
They do have lots of applicants, don't dishearten yourself for one place not wanting to employ you, just keep applying, make sure your CV is clear and simply outlining your qualifications, experience and key skills.. My CV is no more than 300 words, one A4 page but only stuff on there is facts, no waffle. I have no experience at all. Short snappy and practice interviews with family or freinds and I'm sure you'll get a job.

If you are under 18 that might effect your chances with supermarkets as most have to pay standard rates not minimum wage (tesco is £8.91 an hour) and they will rather pay somone who legally can do everything than somone who can't.

I only got one interview with Tesco before that was when I was 16 so they didn’t wanna take me on I think. I thought about gemming up on the company and that but when I started talking about that the interview he told me to stop BSing. I’ve applied to basically every Tesco job and got rejected. Hopefully this one is different
Hi Fenton,
I am also autistic. From experience, I have found that if you want an interview, it's best to answer the questions on the SJT in a way that reflects how an ideal employee would react and not necessarily how you would react.

Some companies also make you do personality tests as part of their recruitment process, again I do a similar thing- I answer the questions as if I was an 'ideal person'. These type of tests will often ask a question which is essentially the same in several different ways in an attempt to gauge how honest you are being- this is something you would need to look out for.
You could even get a neurotypical/ autistic person who is skilled at masking to help.

It also might be helpful for you to talk to a supermarket worker so you gain some more knowledge about what employees have to do on a day to day basis.

GlassAlice
Reply 6
These type of test are notoriously confusing and highly debatable. The rule seems to be find the option which will satisfy the customer the most without costing the company anything and without a manager having to bother to venture out of their office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending