Hate nursing placement

Watch this thread
charjesskr
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can’t even begin with how much I hate my placement. I HATE it. The staff are so horrible and the *****y ness 🤨 it’s an all female unit due to the nature of the service. However the other student I’m on there with ( we are first years) is related to one of the women so she’s treated so well, she barely does anything and sits around on her phone / the computer at the desks yet I’m constantly working and still getting told off if anything isn’t done right. The other student brags how much she has gotten signed off and even that they’ve given her extra hours , yet she’s allowed to walk out the door 2/3 hours before the end of a 12 hour shift and I’m left there doing everyone’s work. Im almost at the end , but I just really am finding it so hard to keep going. I have the other student on Facebook and the way she has the other nurses and staff on her Facebook asking like they’re besties really gets to me as I’m worrying I’ll barely get anything signed off. I tried hard to be soo nice at the start of this placement. Yet I’ve heard them ****ging me off … saying how quiet and moody I’m being and how much other student is better than me sat in front of the other student. I’m ****ed off lately because I feel I’m at a real disadvantage. The uni don’t care , and they especially don’t care that they’re related and that she is under the supervision of her relation signing her off on things. Please tell me it gets better. Pleaseeee. I’ve tried so hard. I only have one placement left after this , a 5 week one and worrying so much that I’ll barely get anything signed off. Xx
jj104jj
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It sounds like if you have any concerns, I would speak to a member of staff, maybe in student services or HR and express your concerns. this sounds like bullying, which I wouldn't put up with for one moment. One thing I would suggest is to hold your own! don't worry about what this person and that person is or isn't doing, focus on what you are doing, because whilst you are letting those other individuals get to you, you are subconsciously holding yourself back, which will project out to others.

You are the maker of your own destiny, not them. Just remember, if those students are slacking now, they will turn out to be a [email protected] nurse and that will show when they go on to qualify.

You on the other hand can be amazing, just let yourself shine and don't let anyone steal your sparkle, but if they do? take it straight back and smile at them.

Your university has a duty to make your uni life as comfortable as possible. it does sound like there is a bit of a conflict of interest as a member of staff shouldn't really be teaching one of their own family for the purposes of favouritism which is totally unethical. If I was you I would seek some impartial advice from a member of staff or student services if you feel like your uni journey is being made uncomfortable in any way whatsoever. Don't feel afraid to speak out as you deserve the best chance to succeed as much as anyone else.

I really hope your situation improves.

Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charjesskr)
I can’t even begin with how much I hate my placement. I HATE it. The staff are so horrible and the *****y ness 🤨 it’s an all female unit due to the nature of the service. However the other student I’m on there with ( we are first years) is related to one of the women so she’s treated so well, she barely does anything and sits around on her phone / the computer at the desks yet I’m constantly working and still getting told off if anything isn’t done right. The other student brags how much she has gotten signed off and even that they’ve given her extra hours , yet she’s allowed to walk out the door 2/3 hours before the end of a 12 hour shift and I’m left there doing everyone’s work. Im almost at the end , but I just really am finding it so hard to keep going. I have the other student on Facebook and the way she has the other nurses and staff on her Facebook asking like they’re besties really gets to me as I’m worrying I’ll barely get anything signed off. I tried hard to be soo nice at the start of this placement. Yet I’ve heard them ****ging me off … saying how quiet and moody I’m being and how much other student is better than me sat in front of the other student. I’m ****ed off lately because I feel I’m at a real disadvantage. The uni don’t care , and they especially don’t care that they’re related and that she is under the supervision of her relation signing her off on things. Please tell me it gets better. Pleaseeee. I’ve tried so hard. I only have one placement left after this , a 5 week one and worrying so much that I’ll barely get anything signed off. Xx
Emily_B

Firstly you do get good and bad placements everywhere you go in nursing.
We all had them at somepoint in our nursing student days.

Unfortunately you'll need to prove what you said here when you make a complaint to your course leader as contact them and tell them all about it and let them deal with it, they should investigate this once you do get in touch ok.
The bad point I think here is that the other student will be backed up by her relative as she shouldn't be under her relative as far as I know of.
Gather evidence from the time she on Facebook with printouts of it while it still on her account.
Why is she able to leave 3 hours earlier than should be is something I can't get.
But next time she on any placement she'll probably won't get away with it as won't have family relations beside her so she'll suffer being there whole shift...!!

Now university should be caring what you say !!! Fight your corner on it is all you can do.

Get through rest of the placement and worry on getting all your stuff signed of not worrying on other people ok as just concertrate on yourself.
Have you did everything as asked of by staff, did you ask questions when unsure of things and if you did these then why would you not get your stuff signed of as you must get this as you know.
If they don't sign your stuff of then obviously must explain reason why they not doing this but don't whatever you do is shout about the other student getting all hers done OK.

Each placement is different and hopefully you'll get nicer staff from now on.

I had difficult placement but got on with it and all my work was signed of dispite the other students being more favourable.
I'm a registered midwife and teach students to so understand frustration you having,
Accacia123
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charjesskr)
That is not acceptable!! I would highly reccommend speaking to the ward manager and letting her know how differently you are treated. also mention the tasks you have carried out with staff members and that they havent been signed off.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (30)
17.96%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.75%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
50.9%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.39%

Watched Threads