The Student Room Group

I want to lose weight - but how?

I've always wanted to lose weight but I've never had enough will power to do it and doing sports never seemed to help.

Does anyone have any advice?

I am not overweight but I am not exactly fit either and I have excess amounts of fat on my thighs and backside and have a pathetic stamina - as in, I can't even climb two sets of stairs without panting.

Does anyone have any advice? I would really like to lose some weight and get fitter! I am female by the way.
diet is 80% of weightloss, so try to replace any unhealthy food with healthier alternatives. i’d definitely suggest working out your maintenance calorie intake, and eating around 300-500 calories less than that. cut down on your portion sizes, eat less sodium, dairy, refined sugar, and processed food, and drink a lot more water.

for exercise, do something that you enjoy to do. no point in running if you hate it. id definitely recommend walking more though, if you have the option to walk or drive somewhere, always walk!
if you want to do a yt workout, id suggest emi wong, chloe ting, lilly sabri, and pamela reif - especially for inner and outer thighs. however, if you want to slim your waist i found that chloe ting kind of made me boxy but lilly sabri is great for it! i’ve found that yoga is great too for toning muscles.
Reply 2
Thank you so much! Do you have any ideas for improving motivation as well?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much! Do you have any ideas for improving motivation as well?

When you start seeing the numbers on the scale decreasing it is awesome motivation to keep it up. I swim 4 or 5 times a week and really enjoy it, however I hate running so never do it. You need to find something you enjoy.
(edited 2 years ago)
Stop eating so much cake, chips and pizza of course.
Reply 5
when i lost weight i ate whatever i wanted before 5pm, but after that only ate salad with a vinaigrette dressing. you don't feel deprived cuz you still get to enjoy the foods you like; but you're limiting dinner time to a low calorie meal :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've always wanted to lose weight but I've never had enough will power to do it and doing sports never seemed to help.

Does anyone have any advice?

I am not overweight but I am not exactly fit either and I have excess amounts of fat on my thighs and backside and have a pathetic stamina - as in, I can't even climb two sets of stairs without panting.

Does anyone have any advice? I would really like to lose some weight and get fitter! I am female by the way.

Prob unhealthy but eat salad and fruit nothing else
Run around like a mad man, do loads off sport drink energy drinks or espressos to give u extra energy and do more sports
Don’t eat at night. I’m really skinny and hate it and if u wanna lose it f*ck the healthy option 😂
Reply 7
Original post by unkownk
Prob unhealthy but eat salad and fruit nothing else
Run around like a mad man, do loads off sport drink energy drinks or espressos to give u extra energy and do more sports
Don’t eat at night. I’m really skinny and hate it and if u wanna lose it f*ck the healthy option 😂

That's unhealthy.

Sports drinks and caffeine aren't suitable ways to gain energy; you should get it naturally from your diet.

There needs to be protein and complex carbs in there; nothing wrong with wholemeal, wholegrain and brown starches.

Quick Reply

Latest