The Student Room Group

Laptop question - DSA Disabled Students Allowance

I applied for DSA for 3rd-year of uni due to anxiety, had it for like 4 years & provided loads of NHS documents so it should go through. I didn't know about DSA before so never did it. Not getting into it but a laptop would be hugely beneficial for me due to my condition however I have a question:

My degree/course states that we HAVE to have a Macbook with stated minimum specs due to the software that's required. I'm hoping to ask for a new laptop as my current laptop recently has died, has anyone been through a similar process? As I said my university says we have to have a MacBook, so surely DSA could provide one with the minimum specs?

also will I have to pay any £, cos I've seen online I may have to pay £200, if so is that it for a £1K laptop?

my uni states this as minimum laptop specs:
Operating System: Mac
Processor / CPU: i5/i7 quad core
Memory / RAM: 8GB/16GB
Storage: 256GB SSD
Recommended model:
13/16" Macbook Pro i7, 16GB
(edited 2 years ago)
For DSA, you have to pay £200 towards the minimum laptop that you are offered through the supplier you have been given. If you choose to upgrade the laptop to a mac you will have to pay the extra costs due to upgrading (laptop cost & any increased price in software you have been recommended). If you also decided that you wanted to buy your laptop yourself you could also email the DSA team asking to do this and you can buy the laptop and insurance, and get the money that DSA would've paid reinbursed to you. This is what I'm doing at the moment to get a macbook and I'm allowed to get £225 reinbursed for me + insurance (but this will be different for different suppliers).
I don't need to get a computer with my DSA but get insurance paid for because I have some software I need to run with it! As mentioned above, put your own £200 in, but reap the rewards with free Applecare (which is worth about £215). Not a perfect solution but does get you more bang for your buck!
(edited 2 years ago)
"As I said my university says we have to have a MacBook, so surely DSA could provide one with the minimum specs?"

DSA is only responsible for helping with disability related costs and needing a Macbook isn't related to your condition. The need for a Macbook is applicable to every student on your course, regardless of whether they have a disability/mental health condition etc... so it isn't the responsibility of the DSA service to fund this for you. Presumably you knew about this requirement prior to starting but, if you didn't, you should have a word with the university as that's a huge expense to drop on students unexpectedly.

As others have said, once you get a final DSA letter explaining what they'll contribute, you need to write back to them explaining that you want to purchase your own computer. They will then send you an updated letter confirming exactly how much money they will put towards the computer you want to buy. They should also reimburse you for insurance for the laptop for the duration of your course.

Quick Reply

Latest