micholate9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Does anybody know if St George's are able to accept an employer reference instead of an academic one for A100?

I've been out of education for some time so it won't be feasible to get an academic reference. I've tried contacting the university but not received a response and their website says prospective applicants for 2022 entry can only contact them from September.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Usually universities require you to have undertaken some recent study (in the last 3 years typically) - can you not get a reference from the provider of that?
micholate9
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Usually universities require you to have undertaken some recent study (in the last 3 years typically) - can you not get a reference from the provider of that?
It says on their website that they don't have a timeframe requirement for A100. I've also checked with other unis that I intend to apply to and they have confirmed they don't have timeframe requirements and will accept an employer reference.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by micholate9)
It says on their website that they don't have a timeframe requirement for A100. I've also checked with other unis that I intend to apply to and they have confirmed they don't have timeframe requirements and will accept an employer reference.
Well in that case all you really can do is arrange an employer reference, or find a different medical school to apply to. Realistically if you can't get any confirmation from St Georges soon you might want to consider that latter option though to avoid the potential situation of applying and believing (but not having confirmation) the employer reference would be acceptable, but then finding it wasn't and having "wasted" one of your four choices
micholate9
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well in that case all you really can do is arrange an employer reference, or find a different medical school to apply to. Realistically if you can't get any confirmation from St Georges soon you might want to consider that latter option though to avoid the potential situation of applying and believing (but not having confirmation) the employer reference would be acceptable, but then finding it wasn't and having "wasted" one of your four choices
Yes, I won't apply without confirmation. Fortunately I do have an alternative for my 4th choice just in case!
yankbaper13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't know specifically about St George's but I did my application for 2021 entry and was successful using an employer reference for A100 at Barts as a graduate.
micholate9
Rep:
?
(Original post by yankbaper13)
I don't know specifically about St George's but I did my application for 2021 entry and was successful using an employer reference for A100 at Barts as a graduate.
Congratulations on getting through! 😊
I'm applying to Barts too. I phoned them and they confirmed they're happy with an employer reference.
I wish there was a way to get through to St George's!
yankbaper13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Congratulations on getting through! 😊
I'm applying to Barts too. I phoned them and they confirmed they're happy with an employer reference.
I wish there was a way to get through to St George's!
I imagine St George's will be the same, especially as they haven't specified it on their website etc. But best to try and check first if you can. You've got plenty of time
micholate9
Rep:
?
I imagine St George's will be the same, especially as they haven't specified it on their website etc. But best to try and check first if you can. You've got plenty of time
Yes I hope they are the same! But I'll wait to confirm in September before applying!

Btw did you apply as a graduate?
yankbaper13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes I hope they are the same! But I'll wait to confirm in September before applying!

Btw did you apply as a graduate?
Yeah I applied as a graduate to A100.
micholate9
Rep:
?
Yeah I applied as a graduate to A100.
Can I ask if you got a 1st or a 2.i?
I know Barts have a 50:50 weighing between degree classification and UCAT. I was hoping to apply to St George's instead because they don't look at degree classification. I didn't get a 1st so I'm not sure if Barts may be too risky!
yankbaper13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I got a 1st. I believe Barts favours those who have a 1st but if you get a competitive UCAT score you could still be invited to interview!
micholate9
Rep:
?
I got a 1st. I believe Barts favours those who have a 1st but if you get a competitive UCAT score you could still be invited to interview!
Okay, thanks! That's what I'm hoping for!
Singh333
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yep I applied through clearing last year and was successful with my referee being my employer. Good luck!
micholate9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Singh333)
Yep I applied through clearing last year and was successful with my referee being my employer. Good luck!
Thanks for letting me know! And you did well to get through clearing
shradz27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
any international students coming to study this year ??
spriag123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thanks for letting me know! And you did well to get through clearing
Sorry to bump this but did you ever get confirmation that an employer reference is okay? Thanks!
micholate9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by spriag123)
Sorry to bump this but did you ever get confirmation that an employer reference is okay? Thanks!
Yes, they confirmed they will only accept an academic one. They said you could get a generic one from the registry which confirms basic details like your attendance etc.
spriag123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Yes, they confirmed they will only accept an academic one. They said you could get a generic one from the registry which confirms basic details like your attendance etc.
Interesting, that's another spanner in the works. Can you very kindly provide a bit more info on how you go about this? (e.g. what did you included in the reference section of UCAS). Honestly thanks so much.
micholate9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by spriag123)
Interesting, that's another spanner in the works. Can you very kindly provide a bit more info on how you go about this? (e.g. what did you included in the reference section of UCAS). Honestly thanks so much.
I know! It's just another hurdle. To be honest, I was out of all other options so I have just applied with an employer reference. I am hoping they won't reject my application straight away. As someone previously said, if they do decide to offer a place, they may ask for an alternative reference. If I get to this point, I will contact the alumni office at my uni to ask them to provide a reference to include my degree, dates, title if dissertation and modules I took. Not ideal, but I was struggling to find 4 choices I was eligible for!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (44)
13.02%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (92)
27.22%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.75%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.88%

Watched Threads