The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SiAnY
Hi Sarky - persuade me to come to Southampton :smile: hehe. I LIKED it but didn't LOVE it on Weds. :p:

It funny, because i applied two years in a row, and the first year i applied i didn't like Southampton much at all. I thought it was ok, but it didn't grab me in the same way Kings did. Just as well i ended up taking a year out and reapplying because the next time round i really liked it. For me it was just the atmosphere of the place. I'm really concious of the fact that i'm a very untypical university student e.g. working class, black, afro caribbean. There are some universities where i felt like i really stood out and people would make an issue of that fact, but Southampton never did. The students i talked to were really cool, its quite nice walking around the campus and it has great facilities, especially for sports. Unlike other universities i was interested in, it had all of the societies i was interested in, and there was a chance to study things like languages in my spare time. It has its own bus service which will never be the london underground but it suffices, and its a good enough uni to be in the top 20 and gain the recognition that it deserves, but without having a intimidating aura (which was an issue for me because like i said, i'm not a typical student).

Basically, i got a feeling about the place. If you get that feeling from somewhere else, that feeling of "i could really spend 3 yrs of my life here and feel comfortable", then you're probably on your way to choosing the right place :smile:
Reply 21
Sarky

OI! We'll have none of that thank you very much. :mad: :mad:

calm down dear.. :hello:

i'm sure you noted my comments directly above yours, implying the primary things i have against it are probably just it's dull with familiarity.. & i;m still bitter & twisted by my rejection.. :wink:

but when i applied the idea of going to my 'local' uni, despite the good reputation for my subject, lost a lot of appeal because i probably wouldn't have got into halls.
my excuse for being rejected from soton was that i'm local, and i'm not bothered about how true that is, i'm still sticking to it! :frown:

and anyway, the university (and town) wasn't that great, in my opinion
Reply 23
Elles
calm down dear.. :hello:

i'm sure you noted my comments directly above yours, implying the primary things i have against it are probably just it's dull with familiarity.. & i;m still bitter & twisted by my rejection.. :wink:

I forgot to put my sticky out tongue smiley. :p: I have noticed Elles that you are still quite hurt about being rejected from Soton. Would you like a written apology from someone? It may help you heal so you could move on. :wink: You do mention it quite a lot dear.
Reply 24
Sarky

I forgot to put my sticky out tongue smiley. :p: I have noticed Elles that you are still quite hurt about being rejected from Soton. Would you like a written apology from someone? It may help you heal so you could move on. :wink: You do mention it quite a lot dear.

:p: would have helped!

& yes..i still cry myself to sleep some nights.. :wink:

hmm, written apology would indeed be gratifying, think you could arrange this for me? :elefant:
though, in truth, some feedback at the time would have been even better & given me a bit more faith in their process - rather than being told in the rejection letter not to bother asking. then depending what it said, i could have achieved some "closure".. :hmpf: :wink:
Reply 25
PQ - I was walking past Gower the other day and looked up and it did look as though there was so little life going on up there, there HAD to be some empty flats. The new online system should be up this year? My boyfriend is starting in 05 so I wonder what that'll mean for him..
Reply 26
In the subject of accomadation, PQ, perhaps you could help me. Soton is almost definately going to be my insurance for English, but i read in the prospectus that they don't guarentee accomadation unless you put them as your first choice. Do you think this will be much of a problem? Are you likely to be given accomadation anyway, and if you are, are you just put in the worst one?
I know I'm not PQ but when I went to Soton last week they gave me an accommodation guide which says "If you nominate Southampton as your insurance choice we guarantee to offer you a room in a University owned, managed or nominated residence within the first four weeks of the start of Session. Where places are not immediately available in Hall, students...living outside the City boundaries, details of a Lodgings Provider willing to make an arrangementfor you to lodge with them on a short term basis will be sent to you." There is "LodgeSoc, a student-run society dedicated to ensure that all students in lodgings take an active role in student life from day one."
Reply 28
PQ
TBH Sam in the past it would be entirely dependant on luck (whether we got more or less students than expected who had a guarantee). For instance this yr we housed pretty much everyone - firm, insurance and clearing - without any problems. In 2002 we had trouble simply housing all of the firm people (the top floors of stoneham tower were reopened and had 2 people per room sleeping in them and a lot of people were bunged down in the "traditional halls" (new colleges dodgy old halls)).

Monte 4 should be completed in time for 2005 entry (IIRC) which will mean stoneham tower will almost certainly be closed down either this yr or next yr and be demolished (woohoo). I'm not sure the schedules but hopefully all of the refurbishing of Glen KLM should take place over the summer and be finished in time for October so the refurbishments should put too much pressure on the amount of rooms available.

This year I'm not sure how PAMS (oh yes - the wizzy new online allocation thingy has been named PAMS:eek: http://www.accommodation.soton.ac.uk/pams.html ) is going to work. Looking at the way it works *to me* it looks like it'll be unable to differentiate between firm and insurance choices come results day/confirmation - which means that anyone who ends up UF (either through CF=>UF or CI=>UI=>UF routes) will be allocated equally.

But it's possible that I'm wrong and they've got that possibility covered.

Lol, cool name. Thanks for the info. It's just something I've been concerned about, I don't want to be homeless!
Reply 29
PQ
I've got a spare room - if you can handle leaving for uni at 7:30am every morning:smile:

It might be worth contacting the admissions tutor AND the accommodation office to ask what the guarantee actually is.

AFAIK the 4 week guarantee stands for insurance and clearing entrants...but like I say there's a LOT going on with PAMS this year so it could all be changed again....

You got a spare room? I'm coming to live with you. You kept it a secret! :secruity:
Reply 30
PQ
It's full of computers:p:

And it means 7:30am leaving the house and 7pm return so it's not exactly ideal for making the most of uni life :biggrin:

Thats alright if the party won't come to mohammed then mohammed will go to the party. You can pick me up tomorrow you know where i live right?

Thanks PQ, you're a dear :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending