kwak_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm currently debating whether or not to switch one of my A levels. If anybody is currently doing A level business please tell me how it is, the pro's and cons and so on.
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I've just finished year 13 and did A level business (AQA). If you did GCSE then year one is basically an extension of that though not doing GCSE doesn't put you at a disadvantage. Questions can range from 1 mark MCQ to 25 mark essays but each mark question and each paragraph within the essay has a set structure so essay writing skills aren't too crucial. The maths isn't too difficult as it's mostly applying formulas to a given set of data. I liked how there was an increase in real life application compared to made up case studies and how many areas were more broad so could be applied to every day life, such as the area of theories and methods of motivation. I also how, as implied, it has a nice balance between some essays and maths without too much of either. I always preferred subjects at GCSE that involved learning and applying the specification and so I knew straight away that I wanted to continue with business at A level. In terms of higher mark questions, top band answers can be achieved through detailed analysis chains. In terms of the cons, because it is 100% exam there is quite a lot of content but most of it very straightforward to understand and once you understand the content it is easy to develop your own analysis chains and often our teacher, for the evaluation points in particular, would tell us to come up with our own ideas then she would tell us any important details that the class hadn't mentioned so the content was easy enough to enable more independent learning. What other A levels are you considering?
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
kwak_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I've just finished year 13 and did A level business (AQA). If you did GCSE then year one is basically an extension of that though not doing GCSE doesn't put you at a disadvantage. Questions can range from 1 mark MCQ to 25 mark essays but each mark question and each paragraph within the essay has a set structure so essay writing skills aren't too crucial. The maths isn't too difficult as it's mostly applying formulas to a given set of data. I liked how there was an increase in real life application compared to made up case studies and how many areas were more broad so could be applied to every day life, such as the area of theories and methods of motivation. I also how, as implied, it has a nice balance between some essays and maths without too much of either. I always preferred subjects at GCSE that involved learning and applying the specification and so I knew straight away that I wanted to continue with business at A level. In terms of higher mark questions, top band answers can be achieved through detailed analysis chains. In terms of the cons, because it is 100% exam there is quite a lot of content but most of it very straightforward to understand and once you understand the content it is easy to develop your own analysis chains and often our teacher, for the evaluation points in particular, would tell us to come up with our own ideas then she would tell us any important details that the class hadn't mentioned so the content was easy enough to enable more independent learning. What other A levels are you considering?
Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
At the moment Im stuck with Fine Art, Psychology and English Lit (which I've been contemplating changing), I have really bad memory already and pretty much suck at studying.
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by kwak_)
At the moment Im stuck with Fine Art, Psychology and English Lit (which I've been contemplating changing), I have really bad memory already and pretty much suck at studying.
Maybe you just haven't found the right method for you. I find that the best methods involve active recall and regular spaced repetition
I also did psychology and found that they went really well together. For example, areas of research methods in psychology come up in market research in business and both cover Maslow's hierarchy of needs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads