The Student Room Group

Driving lesson in instructors new car

I had a lesson with my him and I haven't had one for a few months because I was at college and he had other students but I'm nearly finishing. I learned with a family member but he kept getting aggressive shouting at me. I just came in from a lesson with my instructor for the first time in a 6 or 7 and he's got a new car since last time. I noticed driving first that something was wrong because I was going slow, I thought I might have not put the handbrake down properly but I did put it down and I was wandering why the car is so slow. My instructor is telling me to drive faster and then I later find out the car is a smaller engine it's a 1.2 but feels slower. I was driving behind a cyclist then my instructor tells me to overtake, I think I have loads of time but it just takes longer and I had to use more revs. I get used to it a bit more but it feels underpowered throughout the lesson.

When I get home I research my instructors new car and it only has 75 hp. This was the reason why its so slow. I was on a dual carriage way getting up to speed and I had to put more revs to get into the same speed. I just hope the change of cars doesn't change my progress because I haven't driven a vehicle with this power before like I felt like the engine was dangerously slow at some points

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I had a lesson with my him and I haven't had one for a few months because I was at college and he had other students but I'm nearly finishing. I learned with a family member but he kept getting aggressive shouting at me. I just came in from a lesson with my instructor for the first time in a 6 or 7 and he's got a new car since last time. I noticed driving first that something was wrong because I was going slow, I thought I might have not put the handbrake down properly but I did put it down and I was wandering why the car is so slow. My instructor is telling me to drive faster and then I later find out the car is a smaller engine it's a 1.2 but feels slower. I was driving behind a cyclist then my instructor tells me to overtake, I think I have loads of time but it just takes longer and I had to use more revs. I get used to it a bit more but it feels underpowered throughout the lesson.

When I get home I research my instructors new car and it only has 75 hp. This was the reason why its so slow. I was on a dual carriage way getting up to speed and I had to put more revs to get into the same speed. I just hope the change of cars doesn't change my progress because I haven't driven a vehicle with this power before like I felt like the engine was dangerously slow at some points

A 1.2 Ltr car is more than sufficient to learn to drive in. It will do the national speed limit. A new car takes time to get used to as no two cars are the same. So give it some time
Reply 2
Original post by GMan455
A 1.2 Ltr car is more than sufficient to learn to drive in. It will do the national speed limit. A new car takes time to get used to as no two cars are the same. So give it some time

But it only has 75 horsepower

Your first car might only have 75HP, or less!

You just need to adjust as you've already been doing. More revs for overtaking or getting up to speed quickly.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Your first car might only have 75HP, or less!

You just need to adjust as you've already been doing. More revs for overtaking or getting up to speed quickly.

I know but my instructors car was fairly new as well and it is a supermini but the size of it feels a class above so its heavier but still has that engine. I will have a smaller lighter car.
Reply 5

It's 75 brake horse power which is different from 75 horse power. I have had 2 1.2 ltr cars and they did 70mph no problem.
I know but my instructors car was fairly new as well and it is a supermini but the size of it feels a class above so its heavier but still has that engine. I will have a smaller lighter car.

To be honest, it's fairly normal for your first car to have less power than the one you learn in. It's probably the most common thing that new drivers struggle with. Instructors tend to favour diesels which are harder to stall and have a bit more grunt. Every time you drive a new vehcile the adjustment period will get shorter.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
To be honest, it's fairly normal for your first car to have less power than the one you learn in. It's probably the most common thing that new drivers struggle with. Instructors tend to favour diesels which are harder to stall and have a bit more grunt. Every time you drive a new vehcile the adjustment period will get shorter.

But my first car might have tge same powe but ots lighter, our days I don't think you can get much less than 75hp engine. In the 90s they did 60 hp puntos but I think they wouldn't do that now like in a fiesta.
Reply 8
Original post by GMan455
It's 75 brake horse power which is different from 75 horse power. I have had 2 1.2 ltr cars and they did 70mph no problem.

It will take a long time though to do 70 with 75 hp
My daughter's polo has 59bhp and is perfectly nippy enough - you just need to work out how hard to press the accelerator to make it go.
Original post by ReadingMum
My daughter's polo has 59bhp and is perfectly nippy enough - you just need to work out how hard to press the accelerator to make it go.

What year? That was the issue working out how much revs needed because I drive bigger engines
It is a 2012
It is a 2012

Polo is lighter than my instructors
But...

I know but...

But...

There is no 'But', adapt to the car :wink:
Original post by StriderHort
There is no 'But', adapt to the car :wink:

Shut up man, your mum doesn't love you
What year? That was the issue working out how much revs needed because I drive bigger engines

You need to learn to drive whatever you find yourself behind the wheel of. I swap between my car 3l twin turbo Disco with 250 bhp but the size of a tank to daughter's 1.2 polo to OH's 350 bhp Audi. I just adjust how I drive - that will take a while as a learner but is a skill you will need to learn
(edited 2 years ago)
Shut up man, your mum doesn't love you

Why don't you drive over here and make me? oh right... :redface:
Original post by StriderHort
Why don't you drive over here and make me? oh right... :redface:

I'm just joking mate
You need to learn to drive whatever you find yourself behind the wheel of. I swap between my car 3l twin turbo Disco with 250 bhp but the size of a tank to daughter's 1.2 polo to OH's 350 bhp Audi. I just adjust how I drive - that will take a while as a learner but is a skill you will need to learn

Alright
Reply 19
Lack of power is not an issue a Learner driver need worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending