A level options help

Watch this thread
sabrina19_
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hello, I've written a similar post before a few months ago but would like to ask again in a more concise way (hehe) in case anyone has any helpful advice.

I'm going into Y12 in september and atm I have chosen English Lit, History and Geography. My main problem is that I am not entirely sure about the Geog option because 1) One of the Geog teachers we will be having is imo not a great teacher and 2) I have mixed feelings about Geog: sometimes I think I enjoy it, other times I read about glaciation or tectonics and have little interest in it lol. The other two options I'm considering are Sociology and Psychology because they seem interesting and the teacher seems very good, but then idk if I will actually like them as we have never done those subjects before. My parents also tell me that it would be better if I chose Geog because it is a 'facilitating' subject and unis would much prefer me if I did that - is that true?

For the future I am considering going into teaching, or potentially law or journalism, however I am not at all certain on this. I am also thinking of doing History (or maybe Law?) at uni but again have no idea. Any advice on which of Geog/Psych/Sociology would be the best option would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Last edited by sabrina1903_; 10 months ago
teesxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Hi! As you want to do law sociology or psychology are equally as great in understanding society and how people think. With A level do NOT choose a subject half heartedly (i'm yr12 doing biology and hate it lmao) because your lack of interest will definitely show in your grades. The gap between gcse and a level for me was bigger than I initially thought but it does get better. There's no point in doing geography if it doesn't necessarily help with what you want to do, uni's would prefer you take subjects that support the course and you do really well in. Definitely look into sociology and psychology a bit more and see what interests you most. I hope this helped!
sabrina19_
Rep:
(Original post by teesxo)
Hi! As you want to do law sociology or psychology are equally as great in understanding society and how people think. With A level do NOT choose a subject half heartedly (i'm yr12 doing biology and hate it lmao) because your lack of interest will definitely show in your grades. The gap between gcse and a level for me was bigger than I initially thought but it does get better. There's no point in doing geography if it doesn't necessarily help with what you want to do, uni's would prefer you take subjects that support the course and you do really well in. Definitely look into sociology and psychology a bit more and see what interests you most. I hope this helped!
Thank you, that's really useful to know
SB1234567890
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I'd ignore the idea of soft or facilitating subjects because at the end of the day higher grades in subjects that you're actually interested in are better than lower grades in subjects that you only took because they're thought to be facilitating subjects. I took psychology and sociology and got offers from all 5 of my choices, which included 2 Russell group universities
Last edited by SB1234567890; 10 months ago
sabrina19_
Rep:
(Original post by SB1234567890)
I'd ignore the idea of soft or facilitating subjects because at the end of the day higher grades in subjects that you're actually interested in are better than lower grades in subjects that you only took because they're thought to be facilitating subjects. I took psychology and sociology and got offers from all 5 of my choices, which included 2 Russell group universities
Okay, thank you, that's great
sabrina19_
Rep:
Any more advice? I'm thinking of doing Eng Lit, History, Geog and Sociology and then dropping one that I enjoy less in the first few weeks of Y12
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.72%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.81%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.21%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
17.12%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (26)
23.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.72%

Watched Threads