Will8856
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I've recently finished my A-Levels and hoping to apply for 2022 entry medicine this October (taking a gap year). However I only achieved a 5 at GCSE English language, this means only a handful of Unis will accept me as most require at least a 6.

I was wondering if anybody knows if I can retake GCSE English next year for 2022 entry?
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Yes you can retake GCSE English to apply for medicine in October this year. I would recommend resitting anyways as it opens up a lot more options as to where you can apply. Just one thing to keep in mind, if you have a 6 in English Language you do not need to resit English Literature and have that on 6 as well, only resit if you have below 6 for English Language.

Also just avoid GCSE heavy med schools like Leeds, Oxford and Cardiff when applying for 2022 intake.
Will8856
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
Yes you can retake GCSE English to apply for medicine in October this year. I would recommend resitting anyways as it opens up a lot more options as to where you can apply. Just one thing to keep in mind, if you have a 6 in English Language you do not need to resit English Literature and have that on 6 as well, only resit if you have below 6 for English Language.

Also just avoid GCSE heavy med schools like Leeds, Oxford and Cardiff when applying for 2022 intake.
Ok thanks for the response, that's good to know. I already have a 6 in lit so it's just language that I'm worried about anyway.

Most of my GCSES are acctually pretty good (8s and 9s in most things) just English has always been poor for me.
SyedN
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Will8856)
Ok thanks for the response, that's good to know. I already have a 6 in lit so it's just language that I'm worried about anyway.

Most of my GCSES are acctually pretty good (8s and 9s in most things) just English has always been poor for me.
Would you mind providing a breakdown of your GCSEs? And yeah you just need a 6 in English Language and you should be fine for most schools.
Will8856
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
Would you mind providing a breakdown of your GCSEs? And yeah you just need a 6 in English Language and you should be fine for most schools.
sure-
9- Physics, Biology
8- Maths, Chemistry, History, BV
7- Drama
6- Literature
5-Language
A- Further Maths

and then like a merit star or something in btec business
SyedN
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Will8856)
sure-
9- Physics, Biology
8- Maths, Chemistry, History, BV
7- Drama
6- Literature
5-Language
A- Further Maths

and then like a merit star or something in btec business
These are pretty good, well done! As long as you get the 6 in English Language you are good to apply to a majority of med schools.

But as I said above, actively avoid GCSE heavy med schools as you are just wasting a choice at those universities where people with perfect GCSEs have been known to be rejected as well.
Will8856
Rep:
(Original post by SyedN)
These are pretty good, well done! As long as you get the 6 in English Language you are good to apply to a majority of med schools.

But as I said above, actively avoid GCSE heavy med schools as you are just wasting a choice at those universities where people with perfect GCSEs have been known to be rejected as well.
Ok thank you for the advise, I'll keep that in mind when I apply and try to play to my strengths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.85%
Okay (97)
28.96%
A bit lacking (122)
36.42%
Not good at all (83)
24.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed