teesxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everyone hope you're all well
due to the pandemic, do you think we'll be required to have done work experience for health courses e.g midwifery? especially for russell group unis? Some universities have said it won't be required but i'm not sure for some of the russell groups I want to apply for.
Thanks in advance
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There’s even more opportunities to volunteer or work in a health or care environment since the pandemic.

If you want to know about specific university policies then you’ll need to ask universities directly.
teesxo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
There’s even more opportunities to volunteer or work in a health or care environment since the pandemic.

If you want to know about specific university policies then you’ll need to ask universities directly.
In my area its been varied. although restrictions have been lifted lots of places that offer placements are still saying no due to the pandemic...
I've managed to volunteer at a vaccinations place but i don't think its enough for what i need.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by teesxo)
Hi everyone hope you're all well
due to the pandemic, do you think we'll be required to have done work experience for health courses e.g midwifery? especially for russell group unis? Some universities have said it won't be required but i'm not sure for some of the russell groups I want to apply for.
Thanks in advance
YES.
You will need 'caring experience' - it doesnt have to be with pregnnant women, any experience will do, so get on the phone to Care Homes, Special Schools, Hospices etc asap.

Midwifery is as compeitive as Medicine and you need examples of 'when I did' and 'what I did' for both your PS and any interviews. Without that you will not be able to compete with existing healthcare workers applying for Midwifery who will have this in heaps.

And btw, 'RG' counts for nothing for Nursing & Midwifery courses because all courses follow a set syllabus and and all accredited by the same professional body. You wont get a 'better' degree at an RG Uni. The NHS wont care where you trained - and neither will your patients.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fwiw: a paid part time job as a carer or a porter for 3-6 months (or more) will usually go a lot further and be more use to your application than an unpaid placement that lasts a week or two.

There’s no shortage of jobs in the care sector - especially if you’re able to work evenings or weekends. Gimmicky placements where you get to watch other people perform their job for a day or two aren’t anything like the experience of turning up week after week to perform a difficult job that requires empathy, compassion and respect for those in your care.

Add in some conversations with midwives and student midwives about their job and what is involved and the variety of situations they deal with and you’ll have a decent insight into the profession.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
teesxo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you!
Fortysomething
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes as others have said regular work in a care home or similar would be really useful and they are really desperate for staff post brexit so you’ll find loads of jobs going or you could see if you can get on the bank at your local nhs trust as a health care assistant then you can work shifts when you have availability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (125)
86.81%
No (19)
13.19%

Watched Threads