Switch from adult to mental health nursing

Watch this thread
Dgirly
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got an offer to study adult nursing but I just changed my min and would rather study mental health. I have called the school and unfortunately they do not have space for mental health anymore, so it's either I stick to adult or apply again next year. Does anybody know if I can switch in 2nd year if I decide to go with the adult nursing? I'm worried that if I leave it, I may not get a place next year
Dgirly
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Can someone help please
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dgirly)
I got an offer to study adult nursing but I just changed my min and would rather study mental health. I have called the school and unfortunately they do not have space for mental health anymore, so it's either I stick to adult or apply again next year. Does anybody know if I can switch in 2nd year if I decide to go with the adult nursing? I'm worried that if I leave it, I may not get a place next year
Hiya Dgirly,

Congratulations on getting into uni! I'm a nursing student myself and whilst I didn't transfer courses some of my friends did. What I can recommend you do is enjoy your first year as an adult nursing student with enthusiasm and enjoy it even if it's not what you wanted!.

It is possible to switch course in your second year, at the beginning of the year, you should be allocated to an academic advisor/ supervisor and you can inform them of your plans to change course, they should be able to help you in preparation for it. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them the university of your choice should have a union or a student support hub that you can go to.

Meanwhile, during placements, you can arrange to visit mental health wards, speak to mental health students about the course. This will be useful for you to see if it's something you definitely want to focus on or if you want to stick to Adult nursing. You can also apply to be a health care worker on a mental health ward for a more in-depth experience to see if it is still interesting to you.

I have attached the UCAS guidance regarding this topic as well for you to read:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/s...cademic%20year.

I hope that you find this useful,
Goodness.
Dgirly
Rep:
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hiya Dgirly,

Congratulations on getting into uni! I'm a nursing student myself and whilst I didn't transfer courses some of my friends did. What I can recommend you do is enjoy your first year as an adult nursing student with enthusiasm and enjoy it even if it's not what you wanted!.

It is possible to switch course in your second year, at the beginning of the year, you should be allocated to an academic advisor/ supervisor and you can inform them of your plans to change course, they should be able to help you in preparation for it. If you don't feel comfortable talking to them the university of your choice should have a union or a student support hub that you can go to.

Meanwhile, during placements, you can arrange to visit mental health wards, speak to mental health students about the course. This will be useful for you to see if it's something you definitely want to focus on or if you want to stick to Adult nursing. You can also apply to be a health care worker on a mental health ward for a more in-depth experience to see if it is still interesting to you.

I have attached the UCAS guidance regarding this topic as well for you to read:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/getting-student-support/changing-or-leaving-your-course#:~:text=You'll%20need%20to%20discuss,until%20the%20next%20academic%20year.

I hope that you find this useful,
Goodness.
Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dgirly)
Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate.
No worries, glad to be of help.

Goodness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
32.56%
Take a gap year (10)
23.26%
Resit my exams (8)
18.6%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (5)
11.63%
I don't know yet (3)
6.98%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.98%

Watched Threads