sindyxhahu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
For my A Levels, I’ve chosen English Lit, History and Economics but I’m thinking to change Economics to French because I just love it so much and throughout GCSE I always got 9’s (even though I haven’t got my final results yet). At uni, I’d like to do a degree in Law and I wanted the Economics route as a back up but the problem is you need to take Maths at A Level to be able to do Econ at uni which I’m not doing. Should I take French or Economics?
bluemoon03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I know v little about economics but did french a-level and loved it. Whatever you do at uni and beyond, having a language a-level will be really helpful and learningt a language to a high standard is such an enriching experience. Funnily enough I also did English Lit and History, and would say the subjects worked well together. There were quite a few essays but most of that was from English and History, and having those subjects did help with French. Basically I'm quite biased towards a-level french but if you have any specific questions about it do let me know
sindyxhahu
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluemoon03)
I know v little about economics but did french a-level and loved it. Whatever you do at uni and beyond, having a language a-level will be really helpful and learningt a language to a high standard is such an enriching experience. Funnily enough I also did English Lit and History, and would say the subjects worked well together. There were quite a few essays but most of that was from English and History, and having those subjects did help with French. Basically I'm quite biased towards a-level french but if you have any specific questions about it do let me know
Thanks so much for your response! I get it, French is literally the best. Oh wow, the same subjects - what a coincidence! What was your overall opinion on all 3 subjects and which did you find most challenging?
bluemoon03
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sindyxhahu)
Thanks so much for your response! I get it, French is literally the best. Oh wow, the same subjects - what a coincidence! What was your overall opinion on all 3 subjects and which did you find most challenging?
No worries! This could get long winded so I'll try not to waffle but my opinion on the subjects and how difficult I found them varied so much across the two years. Take all this with a pinch of salt because it's just my personal experience at my school and during covid so quite unique!

At the start, I definitely found french the hardest, partially because I was getting way more homework for it than my other subjects but also because it's a big step up from gcse - there was lots more speaking, harder topics and the expectation to learn extra cultural stuff which I grew to enjoy but did find hard at first. English and history are also steps up from gcse in terms of content and what's expected of you in essays, but I found the style of teaching and learning not to different from gcse so coped okay with that. As year 12 continued though, I really started loving french and decided to apply for languages at uni rather than french + history because I wasn't enjoying history as much and loved the idea of picking up a new language at uni. That's not to say I disliked history a-level, but I felt nowhere near as interested in the topics as I was with french on the whole so that affected my motivation - some form of wider reading/research really helps you do well in all 3 subjects but I was much more motivated to do it for french (and english) than history. English was challenging in its own way because for a lot of year 12 I wasn't happy with the marks I was getting on my essays - that's really common but if you put the work in throughout the year you'll see massive improvement in year 13. I enjoyed the year 13 texts more and really loved english that year, almost as much as french. In terms of most challenging overall, I would say french but it was easier to meet that challenge because I love the subject, if that makes sense. For history, there were a few different types of essay question and some were more difficult than others, but if you're able to memorise facts, learn essay structures and argue well in an essay, you should be fine (I've heard a-level history is good practice for a law degree!)

In short, I'd say I found french the most challenging but most enjoyable overall. English and history were also steep learning curves but you'll get used to the essay structures and writing style over the two years and be fine by the end (at least I hope so lol, I won't find out my actual grades until results day but my homework essay marks in all three subjects did improve lots over the two years). Even though history was my least favourite, I still enjoyed it and do still like history, so with your french/economics dilemma I'd definitely go with the one you think you'll enjoy the most because that makes a massive difference at a-level. Hope that helps!
sindyxhahu
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluemoon03)
No worries! This could get long winded so I'll try not to waffle but my opinion on the subjects and how difficult I found them varied so much across the two years. Take all this with a pinch of salt because it's just my personal experience at my school and during covid so quite unique!

At the start, I definitely found french the hardest, partially because I was getting way more homework for it than my other subjects but also because it's a big step up from gcse - there was lots more speaking, harder topics and the expectation to learn extra cultural stuff which I grew to enjoy but did find hard at first. English and history are also steps up from gcse in terms of content and what's expected of you in essays, but I found the style of teaching and learning not to different from gcse so coped okay with that. As year 12 continued though, I really started loving french and decided to apply for languages at uni rather than french + history because I wasn't enjoying history as much and loved the idea of picking up a new language at uni. That's not to say I disliked history a-level, but I felt nowhere near as interested in the topics as I was with french on the whole so that affected my motivation - some form of wider reading/research really helps you do well in all 3 subjects but I was much more motivated to do it for french (and english) than history. English was challenging in its own way because for a lot of year 12 I wasn't happy with the marks I was getting on my essays - that's really common but if you put the work in throughout the year you'll see massive improvement in year 13. I enjoyed the year 13 texts more and really loved english that year, almost as much as french. In terms of most challenging overall, I would say french but it was easier to meet that challenge because I love the subject, if that makes sense. For history, there were a few different types of essay question and some were more difficult than others, but if you're able to memorise facts, learn essay structures and argue well in an essay, you should be fine (I've heard a-level history is good practice for a law degree!)

In short, I'd say I found french the most challenging but most enjoyable overall. English and history were also steep learning curves but you'll get used to the essay structures and writing style over the two years and be fine by the end (at least I hope so lol, I won't find out my actual grades until results day but my homework essay marks in all three subjects did improve lots over the two years). Even though history was my least favourite, I still enjoyed it and do still like history, so with your french/economics dilemma I'd definitely go with the one you think you'll enjoy the most because that makes a massive difference at a-level. Hope that helps!
Honestly thank you so much! With your help, I’m definitely leaning much more towards French, I’ve loved it so much throughout GCSE and KS3 so I really think it would be a shame to not continue it into A Level. I’m sorry for asking so many questions, must be a drag but did you attend sixth form/college in London? I’m stuck between 2 school and I wanted to see if you know anything about them but if not, no worries! You’ve been so helpful
bluemoon03
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sindyxhahu)
Honestly thank you so much! With your help, I’m definitely leaning much more towards French, I’ve loved it so much throughout GCSE and KS3 so I really think it would be a shame to not continue it into A Level. I’m sorry for asking so many questions, must be a drag but did you attend sixth form/college in London? I’m stuck between 2 school and I wanted to see if you know anything about them but if not, no worries! You’ve been so helpful
No problem it's so great that you love french and I hope you enjoy it even more at a-level. I'm afraid I don't live anywhere near london so can't help you with that one but hope you find the school that's best for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.91%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.3%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.64%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.38%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.99%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.95%

Watched Threads