The Student Room Group

A level predictions and resits

Hey there , I’ve messed up with my biology exam and I know I will get a C and I was aiming for an A , which implies I’ll certainly get rejected by my top preference .I was wondering whether retaking the exam in my school before results day in order to boost my grade through appeals will be accepted .I am aware that all exam boards are running their exams in November for those who want to improve their grades but if I opt for this I’ll end up having to resit all my a levels not just biology (btw this is a rule in the unis I’ve applied to , they want all exams to be completed in the same exam session so 3 subjects sat in June and one in November won’t be accepted).PS in my school teachers allowed some students to resit mock exams to boost their predictions but that was before the 18th of June (the deadline for grade submissions).What do you guys think ?Will this work ?Im actually considering contacting Edexcel to ask but I’m too scared to see their response , I’ll eventually contact them though :frown:
Your grades this year should be based on your overall performance not just one exam as far as I understand it.
I think if the deadline for grade submission is passed then your only option is to speak to 3dexcel or your teachers to see if they have any advice or can help you speak to edexcel.
Original post by Victoria.kohnn
Hey there , I’ve messed up with my biology exam and I know I will get a C and I was aiming for an A , which implies I’ll certainly get rejected by my top preference .I was wondering whether retaking the exam in my school before results day in order to boost my grade through appeals will be accepted .I am aware that all exam boards are running their exams in November for those who want to improve their grades but if I opt for this I’ll end up having to resit all my a levels not just biology (btw this is a rule in the unis I’ve applied to , they want all exams to be completed in the same exam session so 3 subjects sat in June and one in November won’t be accepted).PS in my school teachers allowed some students to resit mock exams to boost their predictions but that was before the 18th of June (the deadline for grade submissions).What do you guys think ?Will this work ?Im actually considering contacting Edexcel to ask but I’m too scared to see their response , I’ll eventually contact them though :frown:

Your CAG shouldn't be based on one test and all grades have been submitted so its too late to change the grade. Youneed to wait and see what happens then plan accordingly.
Original post by Muttley79
Your CAG shouldn't be based on one test and all grades have been submitted so its too late to change the grade. Youneed to wait and see what happens then plan accordingly.

All depending on school policy. Many school policies have indicated that the main basis will be 1 set of exams. If this person attends a competitive school (private/grammar school) it is highly likely that they will have a grade based on a single test.

(I’m a year 13 student nd have many friends in a breadth of different schools around london.
Original post by Sm 002 u mug
All depending on school policy. Many school policies have indicated that the main basis will be 1 set of exams. If this person attends a competitive school (private/grammar school) it is highly likely that they will have a grade based on a single test.

(I’m a year 13 student nd have many friends in a breadth of different schools around london.

Well they should not have used one test - the guidelines said 'a basket of evidence' - ours [selective school] were based on many pieces. A school may get grades challenged as they had to submit their process for scrutiny. [I'm a teacher]
Well they should not have used one test - the guidelines said 'a basket of evidence' - ours [selective school] were based on many pieces. A school may get grades challenged as they had to submit their process for scrutiny. [I'm a teacher]

Wow… wish i went to your school.

Would it be likely for this method to come under scrutiny?

School gave us exams 2 weeks after we came back from lockdown and 2 weeks after the Easter holidays and will take whatever grade we will get the highest in.
Wow… wish i went to your school.

Would it be likely for this method to come under scrutiny?

School gave us exams 2 weeks after we came back from lockdown and 2 weeks after the Easter holidays and will take whatever grade we will get the highest in.

The highest grade!!! That is wrong - it should be matched against the grade descriptors as exam board instructed.
The highest grade!!! That is wrong - it should be matched against the grade descriptors as exam board instructed.

Yep, thats what i meant. The grade descriptors

So if one has a A* but the other exam has a C the school will submit an A*
(edited 2 years ago)
Yep, thats what i meant. The grade descriptors

So if one has a A* but the other exam has a C the school will submit an A*

Yes but you can't pick out 'bits' like that ... it will over-inflate grades. Your school risks downgrading when they look at historic results.
Yes but you can't pick out 'bits' like that ... it will over-inflate grades. Your school risks downgrading when they look at historic results.

See i dont understand historic results… my school has so much fluctuation from 2016 to 2019 a levels
What A-levels are you guys studying and what do you think you’ll achieve in August ?

In my school the range of evidence they used varied from subject to subject.

For example,

Maths: They are only using the two full set of mocks we did throughout April & May as part of the evidence base.

Physics: They are using paper 1 we did as part of class work from December, Paper 3 mock from Janaury lockdown, Paper 2 mock we did in April and the exam board additional material that we sat in May.

Oh and yeah they said more weighting is to be given to more recent assessments so I have no idead how they derived our final grades

Quick Reply

Latest