The Student Room Group

Drugs testing medicine uni course

Do universities test for drugs if you’re studying BMBS medicine? So would they test for cannabis or anything like that?

I understand there’s an occupational health section of applying which is mainly things like vaccines and immunisations you’ve had etc but is there also some sort of “fit to study/practice” test? Would they potentially specifically test someone for drugs with no reason? Do they take blood tests before the course begins (for stuff like immunisation appointments like hepatitis etc) and is there a chance they’d realise I have done cannabis this summer.

I’m going to amsterdam for context.
I have never heard of a medical school testing for drugs as part of routine OH checks. They are there to ensure you don't have blood borne viruses and are correctly immunised, basically, and to support you with medical conditions you have disclosed.

They will take blood samples but they are not going to test for anything other than what they say they will :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by becausethenight
I have never heard of a medical school testing for drugs as part of routine OH checks. They are there to ensure you don't have blood borne viruses and are correctly immunised, basically, and to support you with medical conditions you have disclosed.

They will take blood samples but they are not going to test for anything other than what they say they will :tongue:

Ok thank you for the answer. And if it means anything Im still completely unsure if it’s worth doing anything while I’m in amsterdam
Original post by tetris179
Ok thank you for the answer. And if it means anything Im still completely unsure if it’s worth doing anything while I’m in amsterdam

That’s your decision :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Considering what medical students do get up to in their free time, and don't get caught, you'll be fine doing cannabis this summer :lol: They don't do spot blood tests. Just maybe don't end up on the front page of the local newspaper doing anything incriminating :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by stomachulcer
Considering what medical students do get up to in their free time, and don't get caught, you'll be fine doing cannabis this summer :lol: They don't do spot blood tests. Just maybe don't end up on the front page of the local newspaper doing anything incriminating :wink:

Thank u!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending