The Student Room Group

Failed my first driving test

I failed my first driving test today.. I was doing 23 MPH on a country road and felt like I was doing fine but the examiner grabbed the steering wheel which was an automatic fail. When I was doing the same roads with my instructor she was telling me to speed up on these roads so its annoying to think I was too fast on my test. I now cant get a test until December :frown: is there any apps that work to get cancellations?
Reply 1
Original post by shanc1233
I failed my first driving test today.. I was doing 23 MPH on a country road and felt like I was doing fine but the examiner grabbed the steering wheel which was an automatic fail. When I was doing the same roads with my instructor she was telling me to speed up on these roads so its annoying to think I was too fast on my test. I now cant get a test until December :frown: is there any apps that work to get cancellations?

Why did the examiner grab the wheel if you were going too quickly? Do you actually know what the speed limit is on that road?
Reply 2
Original post by corinium
Why did the examiner grab the wheel if you were going too quickly? Do you actually know what the speed limit is on that road?

The speed limit is 60 MPH on the road but due to it being a bendy road, you do have to drive carefully. I think she mentioned I was just a ' little bit' too fast to her. Just annoying as my instructor would have said 23 MPH is too slow on that road.
Reply 3
The speed limit is 60 MPH on the road but due to it being a bendy road, you do have to drive carefully. I think she mentioned I was just a ' little bit' too fast to her. Just annoying as my instructor would have said 23 MPH is too slow on that road.

You do have to drive with "due care and attention" so, even though the speed limit is 60mph really you should drive at the speed which ensures the safety of yourself and passengers. Do not let it get you down though, it's a good learning experience and it's well worth taking this knowledge into your next test :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you:smile:
Reply 5
Sorry but I smell something, we would never grab the wheel if you were driving too quickly or slowly unless you were about to drive into something. If you're going too quick we'd simply tell you to slow down, grabbing the wheel achieves nothing.
Why don't you look at your test report email and tell us what the actual is that is marked.
Reply 6
Original post by TheDE
Sorry but I smell something, we would never grab the wheel if you were driving too quickly or slowly unless you were about to drive into something. If you're going too quick we'd simply tell you to slow down, grabbing the wheel achieves nothing.
Why don't you look at your test report email and tell us what the actual is that is marked.

I have checked my test report and it says ' your examiner needed to take physical action' ' your serious faults - use of speed.'

When we got back to the test centre she said I was a ' little bit too fast' and when I mentioned I was only doing 23 mph she said it felt faster to her. Nothing else, I'm not going to lie about a test I have already failed.:s-smilie: I was also never told to slow down and there was nothing to the left of me but bushes which I wasn't close to.
(edited 2 years ago)

Don’t worry about it I took it 5 times I usually had to wait until like 3 month later but people cancelled all the time so it was often earlier good luck.
I have checked my test report and it says ' your examiner needed to take physical action' ' your serious faults - use of speed.'

When we got back to the test centre she said I was a ' little bit too fast' and when I mentioned I was only doing 23 mph she said it felt faster to her. Nothing else, I'm not going to lie about a test I have already failed.:s-smilie: I was also never told to slow down and there was nothing to the left of me but bushes which I wasn't close to.

That’s just how it goes sometimes even if someone else is in error you fail y instructor tol me about one guy got boxed in by this guy on a roundabout so he had to go round twice and he failed for that guys error.
Reply 9

Original post by jonathanemptage
That’s just how it goes sometimes even if someone else is in error you fail y instructor tol me about one guy got boxed in by this guy on a roundabout so he had to go round twice and he failed for that guys error.

Lmao you wouldn't fail a test for going round a roundabout twice unless they did something stupid like change lanes blindly. It sounds more like you were going too fast for a corner/bend or something like that, hence having to grab the wheel. We have some roads near us which are NSL but if you went anything past 20 you'd be in a hedge.
Reply 10
Thanks I appreciate it. I have managed to book for the beginning of September and am hoping to get another sooner date but if not, it isn't too long. I know it is hard going but need to persist.:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by TheDE
Lmao you wouldn't fail a test for going round a roundabout twice unless they did something stupid like change lanes blindly. It sounds more like you were going too fast for a corner/bend or something like that, hence having to grab the wheel. We have some roads near us which are NSL but if you went anything past 20 you'd be in a hedge.

Yeah it might be that she thought I was too fast for the bend. Oh well:rolleyes: onto the next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending