The Student Room Group

Am I liable to pay Council tax or my Landlord? (As a professional)

Hey everyone,
I just graduated this summer and will be starting a new job in a week.
I will be moving to another city and have accommodation sorted out for my year placement, however I am unsure whether I am liable to pay the council tax.
I have tried to do my research online, and from what i've found so far: I believe I am living in a HMO property ( Houses in multiple occupation) .
The place I am staying is a student village - flats, however they also allow young professionals to live there as well.
My flat consists of 4 bedrooms, all en-suites.
If anyone has knowledge on this topic, I would appreciate if you could let me know whether I should be exempt, because I have emailed the accommodation and they have said I should be liable to pay.

Thank you
You will be generally be liable.
Unless you are legally exempt from payment of council tax or your lodging/tenancy agreement specifies that your accomodation costs includes either the council tax or all bills.
Original post by ARA1659
Hey everyone,
I just graduated this summer and will be starting a new job in a week.
I will be moving to another city and have accommodation sorted out for my year placement, however I am unsure whether I am liable to pay the council tax.
I have tried to do my research online, and from what i've found so far: I believe I am living in a HMO property ( Houses in multiple occupation) .
The place I am staying is a student village - flats, however they also allow young professionals to live there as well.
My flat consists of 4 bedrooms, all en-suites.
If anyone has knowledge on this topic, I would appreciate if you could let me know whether I should be exempt, because I have emailed the accommodation and they have said I should be liable to pay.

Thank you

Not a licensable HMO if it's only 4 people and all with en-suites. Licensable HMOs are 5 or more people, living as separate households but sharing kitchen and/or bathroom facilities. Even if your situation involves sharing a kitchen, it fails the other parts of that. You and your housemates will be liable for the council tax, unless the landlord tells you it's included in your rent. Although... many local authorities will exempt the whole property if there's a full time student resident there.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending