The Student Room Group

Is this inappropriate?

Hi. So recently had my AS exams, which did not go as planned (due to some bullying incidences and bad mental health- but I promise I studied very hard), particularly my English Lit exams. I got an E, which is low even for me.

The head of the english department called me out today in my lesson and as we are starting our NEA, suggesting I shouldn’t independently study a text because “students working at [my] level would benefit from doing the taught texts.” That in itself is slightly rude but fine, although my most recent report card said I’ve been averaging a B grade, and most of my essays get 16/25, which is in some cases a high C or low B. I expressed this and was promptly told i am working at a C. To continue this, my genuine comment was “teachers mark differently because the subject is so nuanced and interpretations of the mark scheme will always be slightly different (by like 1 mark)” and I was immediately repeatedly told my comment was rude and offensive and I was insulting their marking of my exam (which I wasn’t even talking about that but okay).

She then tried very hard to convince me to change my NEA texts even though our questions are due TOMORROW?? She “can’t force [me] to change but highly suggests it.

I don’t know, I don’t think this breaks any guidelines but this interaction with a professional and a presumably mature adult was incredibly uncomfortable, and I know I’m smart, so it was truthfully just rude for my intelligence to be insulted as such.

I also think it is important to note I have never met this woman in my life. She does not teach my class, so further reason this general aggression was unwarranted. Yes I understand some teachers are more harsh or aggressive than others yet I find it inappropriate to mark my essay as “chaotic” and “irrelevant” as well as imply I am working at a very low level by someone who has never taught me.

I have gotten the essay looked at by a private english tutor who agrees the marking of this essay was very out of place.
to be fair this woman has nothing else to judge you by
changing the day before the essay was due was wrong though
I think the thing to think about is whether you are going to do better emotionally with doing taught texts or independent texts. Personally, I did one taught text and one independent one for my comparative NEA, and that worked really well. I didn't get a choice as that's just what my school did, but it meant that I knew I was going along the right lines with one, and so had the time to read up on the other. If you think that you're going to do better emotionally doing your own thing, then keep your texts. There will be less support, but that's ok as long as you're happy finding and reading critical texts and identifying and analysing key moments independently. If you work better with more structure and when you're given resources to work from, perhaps do the taught texts. Ultimately, it's up to you. There is risk involved in choosing your own texts, but with hard work, there's no reason why you shouldn't do well.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending