Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

ReputationRep:
    hull has an awesome course.

ReputationRep:
    What about Aberystwyth? Not exactly in the North, but they have low entry req.s and interesting courses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slothuus)
    What about Aberystwyth? Not exactly in the North, but they have low entry req.s and interesting courses...
    I was considering that. Plus there's an open day next Saturday.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle? It's a major city, but not "large" as such. The city centre is compact (and beautiful) with great nightlife. The politics department is very good indeed (in my opinion it matches the other redbricks there, Leeds and Manchester). It seems a very interesting and varied course, actually, covering Latin American, African, European, Middle Eastern and Asian politics (with IR content, of course). The entry requirements are AAA - BBB so don't know if that's an issue.

I also suggest Aber

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Newcastle? It's a major city, but not "large" as such. The city centre is compact (and beautiful) with great nightlife. The politics department is very good indeed (in my opinion it matches the other redbricks there, Leeds and Manchester). It seems a very interesting and varied course, actually, covering Latin American, African, European, Middle Eastern and Asian politics (with IR content, of course). The entry requirements are AAA - BBB so don't know if that's an issue.

I also suggest Aber
    Might be a bit too far for me. I'd preferably like a journey that takes less than 7 hours from where I live. I'll look into it though, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazza558)
    Might be a bit too far for me. I'd preferably like a journey that takes less than 7 hours from where I live. I'll look into it though, thanks.
    Seven hours? Where do you live? Do you mean seven hours by car or train?

You said the north

ReputationRep:
    Definitely give Cardiff a look - the grades required are much lower than the course/department deserves, and it's a wonderful city

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Definitely give Cardiff a look - the grades required are much lower than the course/department deserves, and it's a wonderful city
    I second that. I think it's fair to say that there are certain universities who have ridiculously high requirements and aren't much stronger than Cardiff (if stronger at all). It also doesn't really feel like a large city despite its capital status. It's very compact, youthful and vibrant.

Anyway, without getting onto too much of a soapbox

Birmingham to Newcastle - 3.5 hours by train, five hours by car
    Sheffield to Newcastle - 2.5 hours by train and car
    London to Newcastle - 3 hours by train, six by car.

So it's unlikely Newcastle's seven hourse away (unless you're from the south west).

I'll shut up now :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I second that. I think it's fair to say that there are certain universities who have ridiculously high requirements and aren't much stronger than Cardiff (if stronger at all). It also doesn't really feel like a large city despite its capital status. It's very compact, youthful and vibrant.

Anyway, without getting onto too much of a soapbox

Birmingham to Newcastle - 3.5 hours by train, five hours by car
    Sheffield to Newcastle - 2.5 hours by train and car
    London to Newcastle - 3 hours by train, six by car.

So it's unlikely Newcastle's seven hourse away (unless you're from the south west).

I'll shut up now :p:
    Whoops, I was completely exaggerating here. I'm about 45 mins away from Sheffield so that's about 3.5 hours for me. Not too bad at all.

As for Cardiff, I'll look into that too.

ReputationRep:
    Come to Cardiff, we have Politics and Partying within a one mile radius! My flatmate is doing Politics with French, and is loving it.

ReputationRep:
    What about Lancaster? In my opinion, and underrated university but with a rising reputation. They offer a range of Politics/IR courses as well, with offers of ABB-BBB I think.

Also, the city is wicked, small, but very studenty, good nightlife and stuff. It's also very safe and friendly .

Having said that, I dropped out of there after a year lol (although that was because of the course - Theatre Studies - rather than the place).

J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeJBB)
    What about Lancaster? In my opinion, and underrated university but with a rising reputation. They offer a range of Politics/IR courses as well, with offers of ABB-BBB I think.

Also, the city is wicked, small, but very studenty, good nightlife and stuff. It's also very safe and friendly .

Having said that, I dropped out of there after a year lol (although that was because of the course - Theatre Studies - rather than the place).

J
    Yup, Lancaster was my second choice and I would have been perfectly happy if I went there

ReputationRep:
    bradford has some really interesting politics courses, might want to check it out. im putting down as my fifth choice.

probs is socially might not be the best place to be.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff and Essex. Awsome for the course but not to hard to get into!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2008

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.