Turn on thread page Beta

Worried about oral presentations at uni watch

Please keep anon. if not, then delete it plzz

I am trying to get out of my oral presentation at uni in a few weeks time. It is unassessed, so it means literally nothing in the wider scheme of things, but we have to write an essay (which is obv assessed) and then pick out some points from it to make a 10min presentation inc. video clips. BUT if we dont present it in front of the class, we get a 10 mark penalty on our essay!!

At my uni this will undeniably drop me down a grade. As a 2nd year, this is fairly serious because all our work in years 2 and 3 contributes to an overall degree score.

It is 100% certain that I am not doing the presentation, but I just don't know how to get out of it. I think everyone else in my seminar (17 ppl) will be doing it, so they will know that I was the only one who didnt have confidence to do it. This makes me look like a complete and utter loser.

What to do?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Get some confidence and do it. You're not going to be able to avoid it forever, so you might as well grit your teeth and do it anyway. I'm sure everyone else is going to be just as nervous. What will you do when it actually comes to doing it in 2nd and 3rd years? You'll have NO confidence whatsoever because you've avoided it for so long... This might actually give you a bit of practice.

Just do it, it's not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    How do you think you can overcome this problem and develop useful skills for the world of work if you don't try? Making presentations like this is likely to be a commonplace at work, in all kinds of job; there will be no place to hide then. It is far better to overcome your fears now and develop some ability before you need to use it to earn your living.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, there are people like this at university. It's a presentation for gods sake.

ReputationRep:
    Are you planning to ever be employed?

Man up and stick out those 10minutes.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    Get some confidence and do it. You're not going to be able to avoid it forever, so you might as well grit your teeth and do it anyway. I'm sure everyone else is going to be just as nervous. What will you do when it actually comes to doing it in 2nd and 3rd years? You'll have NO confidence whatsoever because you've avoided it for so long... This might actually give you a bit of practice.
    But I don't have any confidence to do oral presentations. Practice is fine, as long as there is potential to improve. There is no potential for me to gain confidence, it was destroyed a long time ago. Would you ask a limbless man to try to walk? No, because there is no potential for him to walk!

I pick my modules by what kind of method of assessment there is, so if its marked by c/w and exams then great. If it's presentations then I don't pick the module. However, this time I have been forced into it.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have this attitude to public speaking. Once you get up there nerves will disappear and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Just think how much better you'll feel after it compared to not turning up.

Tips: engage the audience, make eye contact, don't have your head sunk into your notes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just do it. I am painfully shy and self-conscious and I had to do it. Are you seriously willing to lose 10 marks from your essay just to avoid talking in front of 17 people for 10 minutes? And by the way, if there's a penalty for not doing it, it's not unassessed.

ReputationRep:
    Cry me a river. Get some balls, know your stuff, make sure you stick to the structure, speak clearly (loud enough that you think you are talking too loud) and you'll be fine.

If you act confident then people will agree with whatever you say.

ReputationRep:
    You posted while I was writing my last reply, and I just have to say that you're being ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is extremely shy around people she doesn't know well, and she has to do an oral presentation in front of around 20 people tomorrow. Half of these people she finds quite intimidating (they're generally quite snobby) yet she's still doing it! Just go for it, in the future i have no doubt that you will be presented with situations where you're going to have to talk in front of a group of people for whatever reason. The more practice you get, the better.

ReputationRep:
    pm me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you ask a limbless man to try to walk?
    Did you actually just compare a 10 minute talk infront of a few people to this?

Seriously... suck it up

ReputationRep:
    Wow some people posting here are mean! I totally feel for you, I hate doing presentations too but in reality you HAVE to do it. It's an important skill and it will get easier the more you do it no matter how it seems now. Just be well prepared and keep it simple and nothing can go wrong. Reading word for word of a piece of paper obviously isn't a great way to do a presentation but if it means you can at least stand and talk then do it that way - it's better than not doing it at all. Don't worry about making a mistake or having people judge what you say either because to be honest most people's attitude to havig to watch some presentations is 'Great, time for a snooze!'

ReputationRep:
    As others have said - just try and force yourself to do it. Easier said than done, belive me I know, but it won't be anywhere near as bad as you are imagining.

I had to do a presentation as part of my English Language GCSE (About 25 people). I was absolutely terrified, I'd not been able to eat anything all day, legs shaking like nothing on earth. But, I had spent literally a month before hand spending hours every single day writing it, re-writing it, rehearsing it, recording and listening to it back, rehearsing it again, practicing hand gestures, facial expressions, etc until I could do it in my sleep - I ended up talking for at least 15 minutes and getting an A for it.

For weeks and weeks afterwards I'd catch myself going over what I'd said, which bits hadn't gone to plan, thinking of what I should have said... but then I realised that nobody apart from me cared. At the end of the day, even if you mess it up, you will care far more than anybody else will. If you do make any mistakes, most people won't notice, most of those who do notice won't care, and those few who do notice and care will have forgotten by the next day.

Hell, worst comes to the worst just get your hands on a 2-3mg of Xanax... that will sort you right out

ReputationRep:
    I think some of you are being pretty rude to the OP. I for one absolutely HATE presentations, but i always find that it's worse if you try and get out of it. Imagine that after those ten minutes, it'll all be over and you'll be proud that you've managed not to run away from it, but you faced your fears and tbh, the only way to stop being scared is to jump in at the deep end and just go for it. You'll feel accomplished afterwards, trust me! Everyone is in the same boat, i bet they're just as nervous as you are, but they decided not too choose the easy option and run away, but to do it. And i think that's exactly what you should do. Please take my advice!

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, after 16 other people, no-one will be listening to what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    I understand exactly what you're going through.
    But if you don't do it now , the next time you'll have to do it your confidence will be at rock bottom. So its actually better for you to just get some balls now!

Its only 17 peopl though, you're all doing the same thing so everyone can relate to your nervousness and understand it.

BTW when you will actually finish the presentation you will really ask yourself "WHY THE **** did i worry so much??!!" .

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    im the same. i hate public speaking. i mean big time.
    during a levels i did this one talk, and because i didnt really prepare for it i did bad. i was just speaking nonsense and getting really nervous. however i prepared for it and re did it the next day, and it went fine. as long as you are prepared you cant fail. just read off the slides no one listens anyway. i know i dont. if someone messes up i feel sympathy for them. its only the kids back in highschool that would make a joke out of it.
    its the same kind of thing as going on a scary rollercoaster. you may be dreading it, but afterwards you kind of think ... wow, that was actually ok. just do it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2008
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.