Thatcher and 1980s research

Watch this thread
liz.meadows
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hia,
I do a practical degree so am not used to researching and am creating a theatre piece set in the 80s AIDS crisis, I need help understanding the socio political context and the negative, oppressive effects thatcher had on the working class- can anyone point me in the right direction or possibly share their knowledge with me? thanks so much xx
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by liz.meadows)
Hia,
I do a practical degree so am not used to researching and am creating a theatre piece set in the 80s AIDS crisis, I need help understanding the socio political context and the negative, oppressive effects thatcher had on the working class- can anyone point me in the right direction or possibly share their knowledge with me? thanks so much xx
I think you need to revise your prejudiced views on Thatcher - she did not 'oppress the working class' - many bought their homes through her policies. AIDS was not like COVID .... you need to talk to people who lived through it and you won't find many on TSR.
username5702009
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
The debates on clause 28 from the House of Commons records may be useful to you. Cannot remember the name of the Act of Parliament but I am sure Google can help.
liz.meadows
Rep:
(Original post by barnet1471)
The debates on clause 28 from the House of Commons records may be useful to you. Cannot remember the name of the Act of Parliament but I am sure Google can help.
thank u!! good idea xx
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Are all Tories scum? If not, how do you tell the difference between the scummy and non-scummy ones?
brokenbiscuits
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Some suggestions:

- There is a five part documentary on Thatcher on iplayer, The Thatcher Revolution. I'm no Thatcher fan but it's really interesting.
- You may have already watched it but It's A Sin on 4 about the AIDS crisis.
- Also look into the haemophilia blood transfusion/AIDS scandal that was going on in the 80s.
- Book Shuggie Bains, set in Glasgow during the Thatcher era.

Hope this is helpful. I'm a mature student, born in the early 80s, and it's a period I'm really interested in so will have more of a think for you.

Edit - just realised you probably meant more formal research papers etc rather than TV shows but never mind!
Last edited by brokenbiscuits; 11 months ago
liz.meadows
Rep:
(Original post by brokenbiscuits)
Some suggestions:

- There is a five part documentary on Thatcher on iplayer, The Thatcher Revolution. I'm no Thatcher fan but it's really interesting.
- You may have already watched it but It's A Sin on 4 about the AIDS crisis.
- Also look into the haemophilia blood transfusion/AIDS scandal that was going on in the 80s.
- Book Shuggie Bains, set in Glasgow during the Thatcher era.

Hope this is helpful. I'm a mature student, born in the early 80s, and it's a period I'm really interested in so will have more of a think for you.

Edit - just realised you probably meant more formal research papers etc rather than TV shows but never mind!
no this is fab thank youuuu, its easier for me to absorb info from watching! will deffo note all these down, thank u x
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
There's a radio 4 series on the early days of HIV/AIDS on iplayer

e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000jx4p
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads