Colonel_Mustard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello everyone, I need your help in finalising the university for my Masters in Finance. Here is the list of universities that have extended me an offer letter:

1. Loughborough University: Msc Finance
2. Cranfield University: Msc Finance and Management
3. University of Exeter: Msc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
4. University of Reading (Henley Business School): Msc Investment Management
5. University of Strathclyde: Msc Investment & Finance
6. Lancaster University (haven't received yet, but I am 100% sure): Msc Finance

I wanted to pursue my masters in Exeter but due to thier high fees- £ 27k (did not received much scholarship), I couldn't afford it. I have received 20% scholarship from Loughborough University and I am leaning towards Loughborough to pursue my masters.

Please suggest me should I pursue my masters from Loughborough or from any other university. I will also mention my profile for you to better understand my case.

I am an international student from India. My goal after completing my masters is to get a entry level job in Finance (not in IB or anything fancy) to gain meaningful experience during my PSW.
Thank you all in advance.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Colonel_Mustard)
Hello everyone, I need your help in finalising the university for my Masters in Finance. Here is the list of universities that have extended me an offer letter:

I wanted to pursue my masters in Exeter but due to thier high fees- £ 27k (did not received much scholarship), I couldn't afford it. I have received 20% scholarship from Loughborough University and I am leaning towards Loughborough to pursue my masters.

Please suggest me should I pursue my masters from Loughborough or from any other university. I will also mention my profile for you to better understand my case.

I am an international student from India. My goal after completing my masters is to get a entry level job in Finance (not in IB or anything fancy) to gain meaningful experience during my PSW.
Hi there Colonel_Mustard I'm happy to chat to you about our courses at Strathclyde if that helps at all! I have some lovely colleagues in our International Student Recruitment team that would also be able to help with any queries you have too.

What sort of thing are you looking for in a uni course? Have a think about your priorities as a student and then work to find a place/course that suits you. Consider things like location, facilities, student support, clubs/societies, course perks and accommodation. There may be other things that are really important to you as well so make sure you're able to tick as many of those boxes as you can when making your decision!

Feel free to drop me a PM if I can help with anything.

Take care,
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Loughborough Postgraduate Study
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Colonel_Mustard)

Hi Colonel_Mustard :hello:

Congratulations on receiving an offer to study MSc Finance at Loughborough!

There's lots of factors to consider when it comes to making a university decision. Perhaps have a think and weigh up the importance of each to you and what it is you want from a university, to help narrow down your decision These factors could include...

Course - look carefully at the topics and modules you will study on the programme. Would you be happy studying all of them? A degree is a big commitment, so it's important that you will be happy studying the course for its entire duration. You might also consider the course's reputation, accreditation, facilities and career opportunities post-study.

Student support - take a look at the support services available at the university to ensure they have everything you may need to succeed during your studies. Our Careers Network is here to help you capitalise on your postgraduate studies by providing the very best information, advice, guidance and events for your future career, and the University ranked 1st in the UK for employer-student connections in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020. Graduates from our MSc Finance typically work in investment banking, corporate finance, accountancy and asset management. Many have ambitions to then reach senior manager, assistant vice-president or director level positions within 10 years.

Example initial roles include portfolio analyst, financial management trainee, investment banker, treasury analyst, financial market trader, equity researcher and corporate finance associate.

Our alumni are highly sought after and work with a range of organisations, including many major global banks, large business and the "Big Four" accountancy firms:
  • HSBC
  • Morgan Stanley
  • JP Morgan
  • Chase
  • UBS
  • Standard Chartered
  • DHL
  • Scottish and Southern Energy
  • Virgin

Location - Would you prefer a city or a university market town like Loughborough? What are the transport links like if you want to travel? Loughborough is well-connected by road, rail and air, and offers everything you need as a student and more within easy reach, offering a friendly, close-knit community environment.

Campus - linked to location, what sort of campus would you prefer? At Loughborough, we have a stunning 440-acre single-site campus to call home, with everything you need as a student and more, including green open spaces, landscaped gardens, woodlands, academic buildings, accommodation, sports and leisure facilities, the Students' Union, and a variety of restaurants, shops, bars and cafes.

Accommodation - would you prefer to live on or off campus, and what options are there? At Loughborough, we have three self-catered halls of residence available for postgraduates, either on or a short walk from campus. There's also a wide range of private accommodation available too within easy reach of campus.

Student experience - what extra-curricular activities and opportunities are there for you to get involved with to meet new people and develop your skills? For example, we have lots of opportunities available with the Students' Union, LU Arts and Loughborough Sport.

I hope this helps! You'll find lots more information at our online prospectus, including reasons to study here and student stories. You can also find independent student reviews on StudentCrowd.

All the best!
-Dan
ppapanastasiou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is how I would rank these unis for a masters in finance or a related subject.

1) Lancaster University: Msc Finance
2) Cranfield University: Msc Finance and Management
3) University of Reading (Henley Business School): Msc Investment Management
4) University of Exeter: Msc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
5) University of Strathclyde: Msc Investment & Finance
6) Loughborough University: Msc Finance
techstudent1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congrats on your offers, I would rank like this -
1) Loughborough University: Msc Finance.

2) University of Strathclyde: Msc Investment & Finance
3) Lancaster University: Msc Finance.
4) University of Exeter: Msc Financial Analysis and Fund Management
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads