zishtiaq
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
What A levels one should take for an undergraduate degree in Economics for most reputed UK univs?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zishtiaq)
What A levels one should take for an undergraduate degree in Economics for most reputed UK univs?
Moved this to the economics forum where you're more likely to get a reply
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Further Maths, Maths + Economics.
j25_8
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you wanna do economics at a reputable uni, A level maths is a must. A level economics isnt a must but it would be really wise so you dont enter the subject blind but you will usually necessarily need Alvl maths as an entry requirement for most russel group (very good) universities. There are some like Loughborough University which dont require a level maths for economics and are still pretty reputable and especially good in regards to prospects in economics, but the most reputable ones will require a level maths as a given usually due to the data and graph interpretation heaviness of the course. Sometimes they even use calculus (only learnt at A level) and basic algebra is obviously a given, which is why they prioritise maths so highly
Last edited by j25_8; 1 month ago
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi zishtiaq,

At study Economics at Loughborough, no specific A Level (or equivalent) subjects are required, we strongly prefer combinations drawn from traditional (academic) subjects to demonstrate a range of numerical, analytical and discursive abilities. These A Levels include: Ancient History, Biology, Classical Civilisation, Chemistry, Economics, English Language/Literature, Geography, Government and Politics, History, Languages (non-native), Law, Maths/Further Maths, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology and Statistics.

Best wishes
Bindu
zishtiaq
Rep:
?
Thank you for your response. If the school emphasize on taking only 3 A Levels, Will Math, Economics and English give a good go? Does A Level Economics be considered as an advantage for Bsc, Econ or otherwise?
Last edited by zishtiaq; 2 months ago
zishtiaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Moved this to the economics forum where you're more likely to get a reply
That helped. thank you.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for your response. If the school emphasize on taking only 3 A Levels, Will Math, Economics and English give a good go? Does A Level Economics be considered as an advantage for Bsc, Econ or otherwise?
To get into Cambridge and LSE (top2 unis for Econ undergrad) you'll need further maths. If you're not targeting these top unis then Maths, Econ and English will be fine
zishtiaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
To get into Cambridge and LSE (top2 unis for Econ undergrad) you'll need further maths. If you're not targeting these top unis then Maths, Econ and English will be fine
Thank you. So for Cambridge and LSE I will have to do 4 A Levels (Math, Further Math, Economics and English, Right?
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you. So for Cambridge and LSE I will have to do 4 A Levels (Math, Further Math, Economics and English, Right?
Well you could drop English if you want and just do maths, FM and Econ. However, I'm guessing you've picked English because you like it as naturally it's very different to maths and econ. So yes maths, FM, Econ and English would be good for Cambridge and LSE if you get the right grades and pass the Cambridge test/interview
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Well you could drop English if you want and just do maths, FM and Econ. However, I'm guessing you've picked English because you like it as naturally it's very different to maths and econ. So yes maths, FM, Econ and English would be good for Cambridge and LSE if you get the right grades and pass the Cambridge test/interview
probably UCL too tbh since its strongly recommended or something
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
OP, why do you want to do econ at uni?
ml.1612
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Maths!!! I'd say that maths is likely more important at A-level than economics. They'll teach you basic economics in your first year, but most places will expect you to come in with a strong background in calculus and optimisation, especially more microeconomics.

I study PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics), and I took Politics, Economics and Maths (and AS Further Maths).
Some places like LSE will want a full A-Level in Further Maths (I don't think they can put that on their 'official' course requirements since many schools don't offer FM, but they basically need you to have done it, or something similar).
Most should be happy with a good score in Maths though - for my course, Maths wasn't required (but was strongly recommended).
I know many people here who didn't take Economics A-level, but I'm not sure of anyone who didn't take Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed