The Student Room Group

self-studying A-level Geography

Hi! I wanted to ask if there's someone here who self-studied A-level Geography? Some time ago I asked about Maths, but now I'm thinking of doing Geography. I'm not sure tho if it's feasible since (I think) there are some essays to write etc.
Thank you in advance! :smile:
I haven't done it entirely self-studied but was briefly because of the pandemic (long story) - what spec are you doing?

I do the AQA spec and there aren't exactly essays but you do have to do a non-exam assessment (NEA) which involves fieldwork and then a write-up (a bit like an EPQ if you do that). In terms of the actual exam papers, self-studying should be fine, but the problem really arises with the NEA because it needs to be approved (and I think marked) by a teacher before being sent to the exam board, and I'm not sure of any exam centres that allow you to do that as a private candidate, you'd have to look into it. Are you doing all your A-levels self-studying or just Geography in addition to being in a school?
Sorry i couldn't be much help
Original post by Ethan512
I haven't done it entirely self-studied but was briefly because of the pandemic (long story) - what spec are you doing?

I do the AQA spec and there aren't exactly essays but you do have to do a non-exam assessment (NEA) which involves fieldwork and then a write-up (a bit like an EPQ if you do that). In terms of the actual exam papers, self-studying should be fine, but the problem really arises with the NEA because it needs to be approved (and I think marked) by a teacher before being sent to the exam board, and I'm not sure of any exam centres that allow you to do that as a private candidate, you'd have to look into it. Are you doing all your A-levels self-studying or just Geography in addition to being in a school?
Sorry i couldn't be much help

I don't know what spec yet. I figured that there could be some essays since I was pretty good at it and I can always find a tutor just to mark a few essays sso that I can see if I'm on good track, but the fieldwork isn't a good idea. Thank you for your help! Do you happen to know which spec doesn't have any kind of fieldwork?
I graduated this year and I did the IB. Next year I'm taking a gap year and figured I could do extra subjects sort of just for fun and to look better on college application (I'm applying to the US next year) and I'm most likely also taking Maths A level.
Original post by VanillaCream
I don't know what spec yet. I figured that there could be some essays since I was pretty good at it and I can always find a tutor just to mark a few essays sso that I can see if I'm on good track, but the fieldwork isn't a good idea. Thank you for your help! Do you happen to know which spec doesn't have any kind of fieldwork?
I graduated this year and I did the IB. Next year I'm taking a gap year and figured I could do extra subjects sort of just for fun and to look better on college application (I'm applying to the US next year) and I'm most likely also taking Maths A level.

I don't exactly know, but I'd hazard a guess that all specs probably have some kind of fieldwork. A word of warning is that I wouldn't take too many additional subjects to avoid overstretching yourself. A-Levels are a 2-year course so if you want to take them next year when you're applying to university/college, it would be difficult to get them all done. I guess the other thing is that (at least in my experience - I don't have much knowledge about US applications) beyond the IB unis won't really care about excess qualifications unless its related to your course, and look more for a passion and motivation for your subject.
Glad I could help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest