The Student Room Group

What happens to previous choices if you enter clearing?

Can anyone help?
I currently have an unconditional offer as my firm to do events management at Cardiff metropolitan. However I want to go through clearing to do Nursing at Cardiff Uni for this September which will be a bit of a gamble as places are full so I’m going to have to wait and HOPE people will change or drop this course in order to free a space for me. My question is what happens if I go through clearing for nursing, will I completely loose my place at Cardiff Met to do events management?
Hi, you can only apply through clearing if you aren’t currently holding an offer from any university, so you would have to withdraw from Cardiff for events management, effectively giving up your place there, to apply to nursing :smile:
Original post by amber0321
Hi, you can only apply through clearing if you aren’t currently holding an offer from any university, so you would have to withdraw from Cardiff for events management, effectively giving up your place there, to apply to nursing :smile:

Ok thank you for your help!
Original post by claudiaevascott
Ok thank you for your help!

Welcome! Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :smile:
Do you know if you have to call the unis on a specific number when you want to speak to them about getting a place through clearing or is it just the generic phone number for the uni (excuse my ignorance!🤣)
Do you know if you have to call the unis on a specific number when you want to speak to them about getting a place through clearing or is it just the generic phone number for the uni (excuse my ignorance!🤣)

I’m not actually entirely sure! If anything it would likely be the admissions phone number/email if that helps at all :smile:

In most cases they will publish a Clearing-specific number on their website. Most likely the general admissions number will just direct there.
Reply 7

On results day they'll probably have "clearing hotline" and then a phone number in a very prominent position on their website.
Are you not able to use adjustment?
Can anyone help?
I currently have an unconditional offer as my firm to do events management at Cardiff metropolitan. However I want to go through clearing to do Nursing at Cardiff Uni for this September which will be a bit of a gamble as places are full so I’m going to have to wait and HOPE people will change or drop this course in order to free a space for me. My question is what happens if I go through clearing for nursing, will I completely loose my place at Cardiff Met to do events management?

Nursing in most universities tends to be oversubscribed. It is unlikely it will be in clearing. Giving up your place is very risky. The other option would be to take a gap year and apply for a nursing degree next year. You need tobe aware that getting onto a nursing dergree is quite competitive so you might n9ot get in next year. Spending your gap year working in a health care environment would assist with your application.
Original post by agnos987
Are you not able to use adjustment?

You can't use adjustment when you have an unconditional offer unfortunately, since you can't exceed it
Original post by swanseajack1
Nursing in most universities tends to be oversubscribed. It is unlikely it will be in clearing. Giving up your place is very risky. The other option would be to take a gap year and apply for a nursing degree next year. You need tobe aware that getting onto a nursing dergree is quite competitive so you might n9ot get in next year. Spending your gap year working in a health care environment would assist with your application.

thank you for the warning and advice, much needed:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending